Chapter 2

"What do you mean?" asked Katie confused.

"Never mind."

The pair headed to the school's front yard where a large group of students was gathered. "Hey, look. It's your team," noticed Katie. She pointed at a group of girls clustered near the other end of the school yard. They all seemed uneasy.

"You mean my ex team," murmured Sora and averted her eyes from the girls.

"Just 'cause the team was suspended doesn't mean you can't hang with them," she pointed out. "I can share." She wiggled her eyebrows playfully at Sora.

Sora gave her a half smile. "We never had anything in common besides football. So, yeah, since our team doesn't exist anymore we have no reason to hang out," said Sora, as she tried to push down the bitter feeling churning in the pit of her stomach. "Besides, you're all the friends I need." She gave Katie a light shove and a wink.

Darkwood Academy's boys' and girls' football teams used to be the school's crowning jewels. Last year, both teams managed to win the Leicestershire High School Championship. They were scheduled to compete in this year's upcoming East Midlands Championship, but play for both teams was currently suspended due to a drinking and driving incident that occurred after their last match. The teams would be reinstated once all of the offending team members graduated, which meant that Sora had no chance of playing again.

The memory of her team brought the night of the fire back into her mind. The two teams had decided to seek revenge after the decision of the school board. Once the Academy closed for the summer, the jilted teams paid the school a visit. They ended up drunk on school property and one thing led to another, until the school went up in flames.

Sora glanced furtively around and spotted some guys from the boys' team, they looked just as worried as the girls. Most members of both teams were usually very cool and collected in public which made her wonder what the hell was going on to make them all so jittery.

"Do you think they figured out who set the fire?" asked Katie unaware that Sora was lost in her own thoughts, not listening. She grabbed Sora's hand and practically dragged her to the front, closer to the assembled teachers.

Suddenly, Sora realized why everyone was so uptight. What if, somehow, the teachers already knew who set the fire? What if they knew that both teams had destroyed almost everything inside the building? It's my fault and someone here already knows it, she thought as her face turned a bit paler than normal.

Their headmaster was absent, as usual. In his place was Professor Parker, the head of the school board. In all her years at the Academy, Sora had never seen their headmaster. The only thing she knew about him was that he was the owner of the Academy building and that his name was Vincent Connoly. Also, a large stone bust of him was displayed in front of the school. Sora hoped that the real Mr. Connoly looked nothing like his grotesque doppelgänger, mostly for his own good.

Professor Parker said exactly what she had in all her previous welcome speeches except for her usual closing line "Good luck and try not to tear the place apart", which Sora thought would have been quite ironic considering the circumstances. Instead Professor Parker, after a lengthy pause, looked at the gathered students severely and drew a deep breath.

"All of you are aware of the disturbing incidents that took place last summer. As you can see, the school has returned to its previous glory, and you will notice everything inside is exactly as you left it." She turned her attention to the forest on her right and then back to the audience. "Not everything could be restored, but this is something that you don't need to worry about. The thing that you should be concerned about," she paused for emphasis, "is that the ones responsible will be found and be punished for their actions."