Prologue

"What are you thinking?"

"That this couldn't be happening. How did they get in the house? My Dad grabbed me and told me I needed to hide under the bed. I heard my mom scream and my dad yelled now. I got under the bed and he said no matter what I see or hear not to make a sound and I will be ok. Then my bedroom door opened and I saw three sets of feet, one being my mothers. My dad was talking in some language I didn't know but whatever he said made them mad. They hit him and he fell to the floor. My mom started crying. He was facing me with a terrified look and mouthed shh. He stood and they grabbed him and asked where the girl was. He said he didn't know what they were talking about. I think they came for me. They left the room and went down stairs. Then there was yelling and screaming and I was so scared," I stopped to catch my breath. Talking about that night is so hard.

"What happened next Clio," asked Dr.Finn.

Dr.Finn was my therapist. I have seen him once a week for about six weeks. I don't like him very much, he seems like he is always in a hurry. If he checks his watch one more time in this session I'm walking out.

"I was frozen with fear. All the shouting then it got quiet. I heard them talking but it was like they were whispering. Then I heard a loud crack, then footsteps, a door slammed, and then just silence. I'm not sure how long I laid there but the phone rang. I listened to see if I could hear anything moving downstairs. The machine picked it up and I guess the person hung up because it cut off."

"Is that when you called 911?"

"No. I looked for my parents first."

"Where were they?"

"The family room. They were holding hands; my mom's eyes were open."

"I'm sorry you found them that way. Did you run to them or turn away?" He asked as he checked his watch.

"I think our time is up," I said as I gathered my things and headed for the door.

"We still have twenty four minutes left Clio," he said standing up from his chair.

"Our time ended the last time you checked your watch," I said walking out the door.

Beth was sitting by the door when she saw me come out she stood up and opened the door. When we got in the car her phone rang. It was Ella, her daughter. We were heading to pick up the rest of my boxes. Beth is my god mother and I'm going to move in with her and Ella. I miss my parents so much but I know they are watching me. My birthday is tomorrow and I will be thirteen, my first birthday without them.