4 || Rumors & Whisperings

This is the unedited version. For the complete, edited version, visit:

https://www.amazon.com/Unproven-Technology-Advances-Magic-Evolves-ebook/dp/B07B8ZGL26/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1520544311&sr=1-6&refinements=p_27%3ADrew+Briney

Rumors & Whisperings

Destiny is Fickle; Everything She Speaks is Illusory

Koden barreled down the hallway like some madman bent on revenge. Inadvertently, he blazed through a small crowd of soldiers and bashed against a quarter score of shoulders lined up in tight formation. Belft! he swore to himself, hoping he hadn't just offended a superior officer. Koden was sure the news he was bringing would guarantee a tongue lashing regardless of his own innocence. He didn't need to encourage a second verbal assault on his way back. He tore around the last corner as if being hunted down by a dark griffon. Silently, he swore vengeance upon his field marshal and regretted the day he'd let loose his temper. That was what landed him in this position in the first place. That was why he'd been chosen to deliver this grave news. If only he'd learned to keep his mouth shut. Slightly out of breath, Koden inhaled deeply to master his breathing before entering the captain's chambers. The door was mostly open so he didn't bother to knock.

"Captain."

An elderly, grey haired man spun around in surprise. He was dressed in a loose shirt overlapped by a leather vest boasting more buckles than necessary and matching leggings that stopped at his calves and laced up the sides. Leather shoes were a cross between normal shoes and formal boots. Standard army issue.

"Koden," he answered blankly, sliding a slip of paper back into its original spot and setting the stack on a disheveled, makeshift desk.

"Sir. I bear grave news."

Bushy eyebrows crumbled in a furrow. "Say on." Captain Thornden folded his arms.

"A few days ago, a young woman's glider found bad winds. She blew far off course. We sent a search party to track her down. Sir ... she crashed in Hiwalani lands." Koden inwardly winced and cast his eyes towards the shelving to his right. He didn't need to see anger in the captain's eyes. He knew it would be there. "A reconnaissance team found the glider in the trees but the girl wasn't anywhere to be found. Tracks led towards Hiwalani strongholds before disappearing." Koden quickly scanned his eyes over the mismatched shelving. Books, lined up neatly once, now lay down in some places, stood upright in others. None were organized by size, shape, color, or any other recognizable pattern. A similar hodgepodge of mismatched weaponry lay scattered across the shelving, a testament to the captain's obsession with violence and too many responsibilities to effectively oversee. The captain cleared his throat, a not so carefully veiled reminder that Koden's message wasn't being delivered quickly enough. The captain was a fast paced man, not brimming with patience. Koden sputtered the rest of the story as quickly as possible. "Our only Hiwalani contact reports that Ali'ikiswan has been shining lights out of his home ... during the daytime."

"No." Not quite a shout, Koden took the captain's measured surprise as assurance that he was taking the news well, all things considered.

"Sir, it appears the Hiwalani captured the girl, determined she was a spy, and called the kotrakoy out of hibernation."

"Koden. Are you certain? Do you understand the implications of what you are telling me?"

"Yes, sir."