Chapter Two: Responsibility.

The western pack was in a desperate state. It was extremely rare for wolves to get down to having to scrounge about for scraps, trying to dig up any tiny morsel they could find, it was rare for a wolf to slowly grow thin and hungry, it was rare for a wolf to have to go without food for over a month . . . but the western pack was having to surpass a lot of these 'rares'.

At the den, a large cave eaten into the side of a rocky, beaten hill, the wolves were trying to make do with what scraps they had, they didn't fight for the foood, no indeed, they shared it. But there was never enough to go around . . .

Winston and Kate paced up the rock path that led up to the den, and slipped in, passing Kate's mother, Eve, where she sat on the projction of stone that struck out from the floor of the cave and stood over the mountainside, making a sort of platform in front of the cave. Kate hung her head and looked away from her mothers curious glance.

Winston sighed." The eastern wolves ruined Kate's hunt." Eve growled savagely, and Winston added." Luckily the Omega's were there to break up the fight."

Together they entered the cave. Lily was dangling her long white tail down in front of her eyes, and blowing out of the way, futilely trying to amuse Kate, who lay opposite her, head lying despondently on the rocky floor of the cave.

Eve laughed softly." Lily."

Lily sat up, as did Kate, and smiled." What?" She blew her tail out of her face again.

"Very funny." Smiled Eve." Stop playing with your tail." She turned to Kate who sat, with her head hung, looking at the floor." Kate, you're slouching!" Kate instantly stood straight." Thank-you honey, do you see how strong and beautiful you are?"

If one judged her response using her expression, the answer would be a very definite no.

Lily leant down and sniffed at the old, rotting heap of bones that was to be their dinner for that night." Bleh."

"Oh . . . my." Eve said lightly, turning to Lily. Her tone hardened." Any food is a blessing, dear." Faster than sight she slapped one of the many flies buzzing around the bones and squashed it flat." Winston!" She called, turning to the mouth of the rocky cave." Come join us for dinner. NOW!"

Winston winced and paced into the cave, looking critically down at the bones.

"Thank-you honey." Eve smiled up at him.

"Scraps and bones is no kind of dinner." Winston announced." Not for my pack!"

"Ahhhhh." Kate sighed and looked up at her father." I'm sorry dad, it's just those eastern wolves. . . ."

"It's not your fault Kate." Winston replied deeply, looking down at his daughter." When they crossed into our territory, they broke pack law."

"Winston!"

Winston frowned and turning, slipped out of the cave, it was Hutch, walking up the path to the den, leading a few other wolves, and Can-do . . .

"Can-do was jumped." Hutch announced." By a group of eastern wolves."

"Ugh, it ain't nothin!" Growled Can-do, though his limp belied his words.

Eve stepped forward and pulled back his fur, revealing a long, deep looking cut across the side of his neck." Quickly! Bring him into the den!" She announced, leading the way." Winston, honey, whoever did this, let's rip his tail off and shove it down his throat!"

Winston stared at her, she always seemed to be able to amaze him with her ferocity. Hutch stepped forward to face him, his possum like face looking worried." Sir? Are we just gonna let them keep raiding our hunts and -"