"Now when you have decided whether you want to be a part of this family or not, I will be waiting for you at the hospital." Marjorie whirled around, pleated cream skirt billowing out behind her as she headed for the door.

***

Dom took a deep breath and tried to calm the waves of desperation that were consuming him. His heart was racing and he could taste the bile that rose in the back of his throat and he ran his hands through his hair in that unconscious move that he does when he's deep in thought. A glimpse of a smile showed on his face as he remembered how Jackie had pointed it out to him and said that it was cute. Dom hated the distance that was between them right now and knew that he was to blame. If they hadn't fought this morning, things would be different. She would be by his side instead of lying in a hospital bed with who knows how many wires and tubes sticking out of her body. He could see now that she was right. He understood how his actions could feel like he wasn't supportive this morning. He could now see that she was thinking of him and his racing career by not telling him about the baby last night. He was so stupid to walk out on her like that. Right now Dom wanted Jackie to be okay so that he could apologize to her.

***

Dom could see his mother as he walked through the doors into the hospital. She turned as if she sensed Dom had arrived and rushed to his side.

"They won't let me through but Daphne has been keeping me informed." Marjorie saw the look of confusion on her son's face. "Daphne is her mother." Marjorie clarified. "She's doing okay, her vital signs are stable but she still hasn't woken up. They are running more tests."

"Thanks for being here Mum." He hugged her tight. He was drained from the emotional roller-coaster he was on for the past 4 hours it took him to get here. Tears were starting to well up as he leaned into his mothers shoulder.

Dom's hands were shaking and he almost collapsed as he lost all strength in his legs as he walked up to the reception area at the accident and emergency department. He placed his hands on the counter to steady himself.

There was an older woman who had her back towards Dom as she shuffled papers behind the counter. Dom stood impatiently waiting for her to notice him. The woman startled as she turned around and saw Dom's ashen face.

"Who are you here to see?" She asked

"Jackie Prescott, I understand she was in a car accident earlier today. I'm her fiancé." Dom swallowed the lump that had grown in his throat as he stood there.

"This way." The woman pointed towards the locked double doors to his left. "Just push your way through and she's in resus room two."

"Thank you."

The sterile smell of the hospital filled his nostrils as he pushed open the double doors and walked into the emergency area. He had to stifle the urge to cover his nose to try and disguise it. It was organized chaos as the doctors and nurses moved between the central island hub, where they gathered information about their patients and discussed actions to be taken within the team, and the various resuscitation rooms where the patients were placed from the ambulance.

He could hear a regular high pitched beep as he passed one room, and a man coughing constantly as he passed another. There were children crying, adults screaming in pain, along with their family members pacing between the refreshment stands and their loved ones.

As Dom approached Jackie's room he saw a woman with short chocolate brown hair standing with her back towards him. As she turned to look over towards the central doctors station she noticed him walking towards her.