Chapter 2

"So how did it go with Dom?" Luke asked as he strolled back into the office after his meeting.

"Fine." Jackie replied casually without lifting her head. "We just opened an account for now, and I have referred him to the wealth specialist. It's quite a bit of money he is expecting in."

"I know. Dom rang me after he left your office. He only wants to deal with you and nobody else. You made a good impression."

Jackie felt her heart skip a beat, and continued to look at the loan application she was working on. She didn't want Luke to see the flush in her cheeks that she just can't seem to shake today.

"Dom has made it very clear that if we send him to speak with someone else he will take his money to another bank." Luke elaborated.

"Typical affluent attitude", Jackie mumbled under her breath. "Well I was just doing my job Luke. I'm not prepared to jeopardize my career for the likes of him."

"And that is the correct answer Jackie. However, I will have a talk to the specialist and explain that as the funds aren't expected to be in the account for too long, we would like to keep the account here. I'm sure it will be okay."

Jackie knew that Luke wouldn't want the account to be transferred to another department. He had worked too hard to develop the financial relationship with the family to let it go now. She did wish that Dom would deal with Luke going forward. He unsettled her in a way that she had never experienced before. "Good so you will be looking after Dom then?" Jackie was almost pleading.

"No, Dom wants to deal with you Jackie. He was very impressed with the way you handled things. I knew that you were the right person to see him this morning. I knew you would be straight up and not all gushy like the others. He appreciated that."

"Okay," Jackie replied. "I guess I can look after this one account for him." Jackie thought it was only going to be a short term thing anyway and then she wouldn't have to worry about it. In the back of her mind, she was secretly doing cartwheels. The thought of seeing Dom again sent her heart into palpitations.

"Now I have something else to ask you." Now it was Luke's turn to beg.

"I think you have taken your allocation for today Luke."

"Just hear me out. I have a spare seat at the awards dinner on Friday night. I thought you might like to come along. Philip Tyrell will be at our table along with his CFO, and I would like you to be there to help host them."

"But I haven't got anything to wear! You know I'll need a day off to shop for the right dress." Jackie was teasing.

"I could give you an extended lunch break. An extra 15 minutes should be enough." Luke chuckled.

Maybe under different circumstances Jackie may have found him quite attractive. A little taller than Jackie, he had mousy brown hair that was cut in the traditional short back and sides. The perfect bank manager's hair cut. His deep brown eyes reminded her of chocolate brownies.

"Ha ha ha," Jackie mocked him. "You're lucky that I don't have any plans yet."

"So that's a yes then? It starts at 8pm. Did you want me to pick you up?"

"That would be great." Jackie couldn't shake the feeling that Luke was up to something, and she didn't have any clues as to what. "So how does this all fit into your plan Luke?" Jackie asked.

"What plans?" Luke replied. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Come on Luke. I have seen that look on your face before and I know that you're planning something. Why else would you want me sitting at the same table as Philip Tyrell."

"Like I said, I just need someone else at the table to help host. There'll be a couple of other people there too. "

"Okay. I'll believe you just this once." Jackie hoped that Friday night might throw some clues on what Luke was planning. She hated not knowing what was going on around her. After all she was a bit of a control freak and hated surprises. As Luke left her office she wondered what else was going to happen today?

"So, how was the dashing Dominick Tyrell?"

It was lunch time and Jackie was getting grilled by her best friend Rose. They became friends when Jackie got her first job at the bank. Similar in age, they hit it off immediately.

"I don't know where you get dashing from Rose." Jackie was focusing on her chicken salad and didn't lift her head to look at Rose. She knew that if she did, Rose would see exactly what she was trying to deny to herself. "He's just like all the other rich kids in this world. Out to get the best in life, any way they can."

"C'mon Jackie!" Rose exclaimed. "He is the most drop dead gorgeous customer we have, and you got to spend some alone time with him. What I wouldn't do if I had him alone in a small room."

"Well......," Jackie stopped and shook her head. She was about to say that Rose could have him but she couldn't bring herself to actually say the words. Her heart was in total conflict with her head. Shaking her head she finally looked up at her friend of 6 years. "He's just like anybody else. I really don't see what the fascination is."

"Oh Jackie, you do have the hots for him!"

"No I don't!"

"I think your protesting too much and trying to convince yourself more than me. Anyway I have seen that look in your eyes before. You know they say the eyes are the windows to your soul, and I can see that you like him – A lot."

"Even if I did like him, which I don't, I wouldn't be able to have anything to do with him any way. He's asked Luke if I could look after his accounts and you know we can't have any personal relationships with our customers."

"Oh My God!!!!" Rose sounded like she was about to do cartwheels all around the lunch room. "He's got the hots for you too!!!"

"Don't be ridiculous!" Jackie got up from the table and placed her dishes into the dishwasher. "Now if you have finished fantasizing about some stupid love story that is doomed to end in failure, I would like you to help me find a dress for Friday night." Jackie thought Rose's eyes were going to pop out of her head. "I have to go with Luke to the awards dinner." She explained to Rose before she jumped to the wrong conclusion.

"Will Dom be there?" Rose was teasing her now. "I'm thinking a blue dress with glass slippers maybe the order of the night?"

"Oh stop it Rose." Jackie was amused. "No he won't be there." Jackie saw Rose's mouth droop into a clown-like sad face.

"Never mind, maybe there will be another prince there, whose affairs you aren't looking after." Rose replied. "and besides if there isn't, there is always Luke."

"What are you talking about Rose?" Jackie exclaimed.

"What, you haven't seen the way he looks at you? And everyone in the branch knows you're his little pet."

"Now that is ridiculous." Jackie gave Rose a look that told her to back off. "That kind of talk is how rumours are spread. Besides he's my boss and you know my number one rule........ "

"Don't screw the crew," Rose chimed in. "So why then is he taking such a keen interest in your career Jackie?"

"I don't know but I'm hoping that Friday night might shed some light. He is up to something. I just can't work out what it is."

"C,mon then. I know the perfect place that will have the perfect dress."