Chapter 5: Beyond the fence

I don't realize what i've done until too late, and i've gone too far into the woods. I slow, then fall to my knees. I press my hands to the damp soil that smells like spring and new life, growing.
I close my eyes, and and soon feel myself drifting away to dreamland. Before I know it, I'm asleep.

When I awake, It is night. Crickets sound, and I see fireflies dancing around me. I must have slept through the day...
Standing, I look around me with awe. It is unlike any forest I have ever seen. The trees had leaves and blossoms, and flowers that seem to glow sprout around me. I begin to walk, the ground seeming to cushion my bare feet.

I keep walking, looking at wonder at the tiny, sparkling firefly-like lights. I lift up my finger to one, and realize that it is not, in fact, a firefly, but a tiny twinkling, "Faerie..."
I breathe out, looking at the thing. It looks like a child, with chubby cheeks and messy brown hair poking out from the bottom of a acorn cap. "A Sprite." I say quietly, trying to remember what my book said about these little things.
'Sprites are one-of not the- most common Fae you'll find. They typically stay in a colony, and are very protective of other sprites in the face of a not-so-dangerous enemy. WARNING. THEY B-'
"OW!" I cry out at the sprite bites down on the tip of my finger. I shake him off, and he goes flying into a nearby tree.
'Oh no' My brain says, as I hear an angry buzz from behind me. I turn, and see a mob of sprites buzzing together. The colony. One single light flies from the rest, and to the tree where I had thrown the little one. It began to cry, and the mob surges toward me, biting and poking me with sharp objects.
I begin to run, the faeries following me like a tail.
I clutch the spoon and book to me tightly as I dash, leaping over logs and branches to avoid becoming sprite-food. Speaking of which...
I look behind me to find that the sprites had not given up their chase. Looking forward again, I trip over a root and faceplant into the soft earth. Flipping over, I wave my spoon at the sprites, which hover over me. They lift, like a giant fist ready to pound, and then-
A small burst of bubbles shoot around the faeries, and they freeze. Then, they lift into the treetop and stay there, twinkling. I even think I hear little snores.
I get up to see who my savior is, to come face-to-face with

"Whim."

---------------------------------

So sorry for not updating sooner! Ugh school!
Plus, I had a bit of writers block, but that's gone now.

I'll try to update soon, so in the meantime share and comment.
Thx!
-Silver.