Chapter Eleven

**there may be a slight trigger in this chapter, I'm not sure if it is or isn't but I just thought I should pre-warn you**

Jade pulled up at a house about twenty minutes later. The ride here had been subsequently awkward and no amount of loud music or heavy chatter could cover the act that Luke and I were both visibly uncomfortable. I sat on his knee, trying not to to put all my weight down and hurt him but my head was crushed against the roof of the car and his hands were bound tightly around my waist so I wouldn't fall off and splat into the front seat. Jade's driving was pretty crazy. If I'm honest, I'm not even sure how she got her license because she drives like some sort of Tasmanian devil on loopy gas.

When she finally pulls the car to a halt, I'm the first one to jump out and breathe the fresh air. The house that stood in front of my was just a basic suburban looking family home. With a porch and a garage; it kind of reminded me of something from the 1950's. The grass was freshly cut lawn and there was an old rocking chair moving gently in the breeze.
Grabbing my hand, Jade pulled me up to the porch with the others following and she knocked on the door. I could hear the faint sound of music and through the pane of glass in the door, a figure came towards us. The door swung open; revealing a tall guy with baggy pants and crazy blonde hair that had started to go into dreadlocks.
" 'Sup dudes." He smiled. I could already smell the pot and I had a feeling this was a cliche moment where some hippy guy would hand me a joint and tell me the meaning of life like every single teen movie ever made.
But that didn't happen. Instead he pulled inside the perfectly furnished house, past the staircase and the childhood photographs and out the kitchen into the backyard where a group of people sat in a pool of mist as the sun set over the valley beyond the garden and the bugs had came out to play.
They turned and stared as we walked over before the guy who answered the door broke the silence by hollering to them and introducing bus to everyone.
"This is Mila by the way." Ashton introduced me to the group. They all smiled back at me; their eyes bloodshot as the liquor and drugs mixed inside of them.
Sitting down in the camp chairs, the guy handed us all a beer and I snapped off the cap, raising the cool glass to my lips. I took a sip and looked out onto the valley. Where the house sat, you could see right down into the bush and whatever lay inside it. I jolted in fright as someone elbowed me in the arm and a little bit of beer dropped onto my shirt.
"Want a draw?" Luke grinned at me. He seemed to have relaxed a bit but still wore that cocky demeanor and it pissed me off. Taking the joint from my hand, I inspected it. I wasn't going to let a complete fool of myself by not doing it in front of all these people I didn't even know. Again, I'm really bad for peer pressure. I quietly watched the boy across from inhale it slowly, holding it between his thumb and forefinger and letting the smoke slowly out of his mouth and into the muggy air.
Luke was still watching me, clearly seeing if I was going to do it in front of him. I didn't want to look like a twat so I did it.
Raising the joint up to my mouth; I slowly inhaled and let the toxins take over my body before breathing out again. As I breathed out, my throat got hitched and I have a loud splutter before letting out a few short, gasping coughs.
"Don't worry kid, the first is always the worst." The guy who'd let us in told me and they all laughed, including Luke. I took another drag and this time managed not to choke myself in doing so. "Thatta girl." He cooed and took a drag himself.
The more I smoked the more I drank and the more I drank the more I smoked until I couldn't feel my legs anymore and I wasn't exactly sure where I was and or how I got here. It was only turning ten o'clock and I was still all but aware that I had to be home before midnight for my family coming returning. Luke had seriously relaxed. Although he's an asshole, I could tell Luke was always uptight about something. Always seemed to have an issue with something or another. That was another thing that pissed me off about him.
The people here where cool. Cliche but cool. They really did talk about the meaning of life and the theory of the universe but now I understood why. There are so many unanswered questions in this world. And literally no one knows the answers. We don't know if the Big Bang actually happened? Or was it God? Who put us on this Earth and who decides our fate? Do we decide or does society decide? Or do we leave it all for someone else to decide?

The arms on the clock ticked round and round until it reached 11pm and I knew I had to leave soon. Standing from my seat; wobbling, I took my beer in one hand and joint in the other and walked to the edge of the garden. The garden had no fence and so just fell over the side and into the valley like some suburban, freaky waterfall type shit.
If I were to fall I would die. If I were to jump I would die. Or would I fly into the air and swoop down to the water and skim along the water like a little tiny dragonfly? The options were endless. But what was the use of just thinking? Try it? See if you really can fly?
"It's getting late." My thoughts here interrupted by Luke's giggly tone. "Didn't your parents say they would be home soon?" I smiled and nodded to him. "I'll take you home."

••••••••••
Hey guys!

I can't believe this book is at 1K already! That's totally crazy! And thank you everyone also for voting and commenting it means so much to me!

This chapter was originally meant to be longer but I thought I'd break it in two to build the suspense a little!

Anyway, don't forget to comment and vote and give feedback! It's much appreciated!

-ImJustFabu