Chaper Five

We sat in silence as Luke drove along the near enough empty high way. The only other vehicles on the road where huge trucks or the odd car.
Feeling more and more awkward; I decided it best to put the radio on. Leaning forward and pressing the on button, the car blasted out some chart music. Quickly turning it down as to not wake my brother I left it at number six.
"So um," Luke started clearing his throat, "how do you know Kim and Jeremy?"
"My mother is friends with theirs."
"Ah. Okay."
"Your Jeremy's guitar teacher, are you not?"
"Uhm, yeah. I've been teaching him since he was just a kid." Luke told me as we stopped at a red light. "He's really talented."
"Yeah I knew he could play." I replied. I felt slightly more sober now the cold air has hit me and I'd taken a gulp of the water that I'd left on the floor. "He said you guys let him play with you or something."
"Yeah, we're in a band together. Sometimes he comes along and plays with us for a while. You know, just for some experience."
"I didn't know you had a band." The green light gave us the all clear to go. "What are you called?"
"Uhm, well we came up with the name Five Seconds of Summer." Luke replied, shifting the gear stick.
"That's kinda cool."
"Yup." It went a bit silent after that. Why was he being so open with me? Why was I interested? I don't know if it was me or the alcohol talking? Maybe he thought he was bringing home someone different? Or was it the fact that I would probably forget this conversation by tomorrow? But I knew there was one question I really wanted to ask him.
"Why are you being so nice to me?"
"What?" He replied, clueless as ever.
"I said, why are you being so nice to me?" I replied louder.
"What do you mean why am I being nice? Whats that supposed to mean?" Luke replied, suddenly on defensive mode. His knuckles whitened as he clenched the steering wheel tighter and his face had a more pissed off expression.
"Because your usually horrible to me." My leg shook nervously. "Why are you even driving me home? I thought you'd let me drive home so I'd crash the car and die? Or are you going to do that? You said you wanted me dead?" Suddenly my voice was raised higher and higher, angry and annoyed.
"Well I wasn't going to let you fucking crash now was I? And of course I don't want you dead!" He shouted back at me.
"Well why'd you say it then jackass? Why do you even hate me?"
"I don't hate you!"
"Well why are you such an asshole towards me all the time. You make my life a misery."
"I'm not an asshole." He replied, turning a corner sharply and I shifted to one side of the seat, slamming my head off the window. "Sorry." He spat at me.
"You are an asshole. You bully me Luke. Your a big fucking bully who picks on people for fun." I screamed at him.
"No I'm not Mila!" He shouted back. I'd never seen him so angry before and for a moment I thought he might actually burst into tears. Well he'd have to hear it at some point; and I wasn't in the mood for sugar coating things.
"Yes you are Luke Hemmings! You've taunted me for years! You hurt me! You call me fat, ugly, worthless! You pinch me and trip me up and make people so scared that no one will ever be friends with me! You've ruined my life Luke! I have no friends, no confidence, I'm covered in ugly bruises and I have no self-love at all. Don't you understand? You've made me hate myself so much that if I were to walk in front of a bus right now I wouldn't even care! You've made me feel that worthless! And the worst of it is, you don't even fucking care." Tears dribbled down my cheeks and landed on my legs. Luke remained quiet, thinking about his answer. "What do you have to say, Luke? What could you possibly have to say? How does it feel being such a disgusting person?"
"I'm not a bad person!" He shouted at me, a vein pulsing in his neck and his face going red. "I promise you, I'm not!"
"Then why Luke? Why? Why are you such a fucking shitty person to me?"
"I'm not! I'm not!" Through the lights reflecting on his face, I could see a tiny drop of salty tears roll down his face. "Stop saying that to me! I'm sorry okay? I'm so fucking sorry! I know I treat you like a piece of shit, and I don't really know why? I don't have an excuse Mila! I'm so fucking sorry, I never knew that's how you felt!"
"Well know you know."
"I'm so sorr-"
"Luke watch out for that car!" I cried out. Towards us a car came hurling at full speed, clearly not slowing down. In a panic Luke tried to pull over the car.
"Why are your fucking brakes not working?" He shouted, his voice the definition of sheer panic, and he stamped his feet down for them only to bounce up and down without anything happening. In what felt like a slow motion sequence the car missed us by millimeters and we came sliding off the road. Skidding down the side of the highway, the car hit a post and spun round.
"Press the brakes!" I screamed. The blood in my veins ran cold and my heart felt as if it was going to beat right through my chest.
"They don't fucking work!" He yelled at me. The car did one more spin before another post stopped the vehicle and we all jolted to one side. Banging my head off the window again, Luke also smacked his face off the steering wheel. Undoing my seat belt and ignoring the pain I felt; I jumped into the backseat to reach my brother.
"Matías! Matías are you okay?" I cried checking the ten year old for bruises. Little tears fell down his cheeks but he nodded his head. "Are you sure?" He nodded his head again.
Climbing out the car, Luke walked round the other side and opened Matías' door.
"We need to get out, it's too dangerous to sit in a crashed car." He told us. Luke's face was a mixture of fear and authority, if that was even a thing?
I unbuckled Matías' seat belt and he climbed out the car, his little body shaking. I clambered out after him and grabbed him right as I pulled him in for a tight hug. He wrapped his skinny legs around me and I lifted him up like a toddler. Matías had always been small for his age and was as light as a feather.
"You okay Luke?" I asked, turning to face him. His face was solemn but he nodded.
"Yeah." He wiped a bead of sweat from his forehead. "We should move away from the car. That's what they tell you to do isn't it?" We climbed up the slope and onto the empty highway. Looking down in the car, I knew the damage was severely done. The front window had been smashed and the whole front of the car had been smashed to pieces. There was a few dents in the back and I also no had to wing mirrors.
"My parents are going to kill me." I muttered.
"It was my fault." Luke said as he observed the wreckage, "I should've been paying attention."
"No, Luke it was my fault. I distracted you by yelling. I should've kept my trap shut."
"What are we going to do? There's no one to call at this time at night?"
"My parents are out of town." I told him.
"Shall I call my parents?"
"Well who else would we call?" Luke pulled out his phone from his pocket and dialed a number. I heard it ring first before someone picked up.
"Hey mum, it's Luke - yes I'm fine - well I need your help - you see the thing is - well - I sort of accidentally crashed a car - no one is hurt though - no mum I'm not drunk - no mum - please just come help - on the highway between North shopping center and the strip - okay - you too." He hung up his lions and shoved it back into his pocket. "My parents are coming. They said to wait here. I didn't know where we would fucking go anyway?"
"Luke your bleeding, your eyebrow." I struggled with my brother in my arms to point at the red patch that was now starting to drop down the side of his face. He reached his hand up and hissed as he touched it. Blood appeared on his hands.
"Mila your also bleeding." He told me. "It looks quite bad."
"Where?" I asked. I couldn't feel anything.
"There's a slice in the side of your face." Reaching my hand, I lightly dragged it along my jaw line and winced as I felt the cut on my skin, obviously from the glass from the smashed windscreen.
"Luke grab the first aid kit from my car. It's in the boot." He followed my instructions and grabbed it from the boot. Walking back up beside my brother and I, he set it down in the ground and opened it up. A few plasters, a bandage and some cool jell pads that probably where no longer cool.
Sitting cross legged opposite him, I examined my brother for an injuries but couldn't see so much a scratch. Luke's eyebrow didn't look so bad as it wasn't bleeding half as much as even two minutes ago but I could still feel like slice on my face pulsing.
"Here, let me bandage that up until we get help." Luke said with a roll of material in his hand.

~~~~~~
Hey guys thank you so much for reading!
Guys this is kind of a serious topic as drinking and driving is probably one of the stupidest decisions you can ever make. Yes Luke was not intoxicated but if you ever think about having a drink and driving, DON'T. It is a silly and also selfish decision to make. Not only does it out your own life as jeopardy but your passengers, other cars on the road and other people surrounding you. It is also against the law and with good reason. So if you or a friend or a family member ever do think about drink driving talk them out of it! It's a stupid, stupid thing to do.

Anyway on a lighter note, thank you all for reading and don't forget to vote and comment and I'll shall be updating soon!

-ImJustFabu