5. One Night Stands and Star-crossed Lovers

Start from the beginning

"No," I reply. "My brother." And then I start sulking again, at the mention of his name, remembering Luke rejecting me, and how I'm stuck here for another twenty six days. But I haven't given up yet, not even a little. I'll try everything get on Luke's good side, and somehow convince him to take me to California.

I look up and realize that Michael had asked me a question, his eyes curious.

"What?"

"Are you okay?" He repeats, rubbing his hand up and down my arm.

"Yeah," I say.

"Good," he says. And then I feel Michael lift the hair off my shoulder and plant soft, wet kisses on the nape of my neck, pulling me in so that his chest is pressed against my back. I shiver with guilty pleasure but also, fear. I shift in his arms so that we're facing each other, and Michael takes it as a sign of enthusiasm. He cranes his neck further so that his face is inches from mine, and his eyes flutter closed, his lips so dangerously close to mine.

What was with his obsession of kissing me?

"You need to prep for sound check!" I blurt loudly, sitting up so fast I hit Michael in the face. I blush a crimson red, looking down at an obviously disappointed Michael.

"Sound check starts at 4," he says quietly. "It's two o clock."

"Um, yeah, I know." I laugh nervously. "Let's go get brunch. I'm starving!"

So even though he looks pissed, I take a frustrated Michael's hand, and pull him outside. Calum is playing video games, his head in Ashton's lap. "I beat you, Ash!" He giggles, and Ashton rolls his eyes at him, like a big brother.

Luke doesn't come out of his room no matter how many times we knock, so the four of us leave for brunch without him.

+

The only thing the boys had planned tonight is the concert at five. And when they are playing a show, I have time to myself. All I had to do is sit backstage and be 'supportive'. This time, I got a full view of the stage. I watched in wonder as the beaming lights shine on the boys' faces, and they started to play, singing their hearts out, the echos of the crowd echoing around me. By the second hour, they start to sing out the notes of their final song, the beats of the drum and Luke's sweet singing filling my ears.It's times like this where I wish Dustin was here with me. He loved music. He picked up the guitar before he'd learned to pick up a spoon. He was a childhood Einstein; everyone knew he was talented. He was accepted into a prestigious music school, and we threw him a celebration party. That was only three days before the accident, and after that, Dustin couldn't even strum a single note on that guitar.

I shake my head of the memories, focusing on what's in front of me instead. The last riff of the guitar fades into the night, and the spotlight shines on the boys. The crowd cheers.

As they say their final goodbyes with big smiles on their faces, Michael squeezes Luke in an embrace I know is forced; now that I know of their complicated relationship.

And then it happened.

I didn't see it coming. None of us did.

Ashton pulls away from a hug with Calum, and their eyes lock in a short, almost terrifying moment. I think time might've stopped for a second. And suddenly, Ashton's lips are on Calum's, grabbing a fistful of the younger boy's shirt to pull him closer. The cameras don't stop rolling. The screens project their faces; from Calum's eyes, open in shock, Ashton's lips closing over Calum's, his tongue darting into his mouth. And especially, the strangely calm looks on Michael and Luke's faces.

Dead silence falls over the stadium, something I've never heard at a show before.

On the screen, Luke sighs as if he can't wait until this concert is over. How could he be sighing when that...that had just happened?