Skinny Love

It was Saturday, the week after Jack and Alex had gone on their first date. The eldest male was leading his date through a field, his calloused hands covering the younger’s caramel eyes. The student giggled as he almost tripped and tried to pry Jack’s hands off his face.

“Where are you taking me?”

“I told you, it’s a secret. We’re here now anyway.”

As Jack’s hands collapsed down back at his sides he smiled as a gasp escaped Alex’s lips.

“Jack this is... Beautiful.”

A huge field stretched out in front of the boys, pink and violet flowers springing up everywhere even though it was the middle of December. Plush, electric green trees bordered the edges and birds sang their songs as squirrels and rabbits skittered about through the long grass. The afternoon sun cast a beautiful glow over the tree tops, causing odd shaped shadows to be formed from overlapping silhouettes. They were ever changing as the trees shook in the wind and the animals playing their parts in the scene scattered away because of the new human presence. The smell of pine and fresh water swan found the men in the afternoon breeze and the only things that could be heard was the faint sound of cars in the distance and the tweeting of birds of the squeaking and skittering of rabbits. As Alex took a deep breath in he could taste water vapour on his tongue, the fresh natural beauty of this place was a stark contrast to the place that he lived. It was gorgeous.

“It looks like this all year round. I don’t know how it does it, I guess it’s just magical.”

Alex smiled and quickly spun around, yanking Jack in to a hug.

“It’s lovely.”

“I brought you here because it’s a big part of my childhood.”

Jack muttered in to Alex’s ear as he wrapped his arms round his waist.

“On our first date you let me in to so much of your life that I thought it was only fair to show you a piece of mine.”

A grin spread across the younger’s lips and he chuckled.

“Thank you.”

Jack took Alex’s hand in his and led him down the edges of the field before pulling him under a tree and urging him to sit down. Laid out on the shorter grass was a red blanket, and on that blanket were two glasses of wine and an open basket of sandwiches and other foods.

“Wow Jack this is amazing.”

“Thanks, you gonna sit down?”

The student chuckled before nodding and sitting Indian style across from his date, sipping at his wine.

“You know, this is the first second date I’ve been on. Ever.”

Jack smirked and shook his head.

“I don’t believe you.”

“No really. Even with Caleb. We went on one date and then that was it. We never had any other dates after that.”

Jack’s smirk slowly disappeared and he looked in to the deep, crimson liquid swirling around in his glass.

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be, I’m not.”

Jack smiled again as Alex chuckled and the teacher shrugged.

“If it helps this is my first second date in over five years. I’m not very good at the whole date thing, I normally take them out, fuck them then leave and never call them back.”

A hiss escaped Alex’s lips and he laughed.

“That’s low.”

“I know, but not with you.”