Oh, Sweet Perfection

“Alex! Get up! You've got to take Rian to school!”

Alex groaned and rubbed his eyes, sitting up lazily and scratching his bare stomach.

“LEX! Come and take your little brother to school!”

“ALRIGHT! I'M COMING!”

The nineteen year old boy swung his hairy legs over the side of his mattress and yawned. The sunlight cascaded in through his open blinds, reflecting off the mirror opposite his bed, and the dark blue bed sheets crumpled under him as he pulled off a pair of bright yellow socks. His bed was pushed up against the wall, his mirror and wardrobe pushed against the opposite wall where his door was. That was it, that was all he had in his bedroom. There were pictures of him and his friends covering the cream walls and a dark blue fluffy rug on the hard, brown wood floor but that was it. The boy trekked over to his dark pine wardrobe and pulled out a pair of black skinny jeans and his favourite shirt, a white Blink 182 logo shimmering on the black cotton in the August sunlight. His feet shimmied in to pair of black Vans and he looked in his mirror, fiddling with his mess of brown and blonde streaked hair. He swept his bangs over his forehead and checked himself out.

[i]Too much black? Yeah. Add a little colour. Where? How? Put on a shirt open over this.[/i]

The boy pulled on a yellow and grey checked shirt, leaving it unbuttoned, and jogged downstairs. A smile spread across his face as he saw his little brother. Rian was only fourteen, but he looked Alex's age, and probably knew more than Alex and his college friends combined. He was a sweet kid, always putting others before himself, and him and Alex were the closest they could be without it being weird.

“Hey little dude, you ready to go?”

Alex asked while running a hand through his little brother's short hair. It used to be long, about Alex's length, but he had it all shaved off so he could look more 'macho'.

“Yeah.”

The elder boy shoved a piece of toast in his mouth and smiled before kissing his mum's cheek.

“I'm staying the night at Zack's, is that ok?”

“Yeah, remember to go talk to Rian's teacher at two though. I'll see you boys later.”

Rian grumbled and hopped in to his big brother's old, banged up, yellow car. He'd got it for his sixteenth birthday and hadn't really been able to afford to buy a new one. He went straight on to college after high school and spent all his money on that. He was lucky his parents were pretty well off. They weren't a rich family, but they had enough money to not have to worry about whether the bills were getting paid or not. Alex was looking for a job to help pay his way or save up for a flat, he couldn't sponge off his mum forever, it was either get his own place or move in with Zack.

Zack was his best friend. They'd met in middle school, just after Alex had moved to Baltimore from Essex, England and they'd instantly clicked. Zack had been Alex's only friend in middle school, and most of the way through high school, and now he was his best friend in college. They were inseparable and were considering living together. Zack had a flat his parents had bought for him when he applied for collage but he still had to pay rent. If Alex was living there it wouldn't be much more food wise because both boys hardly ate and the rent would be split in half. It sounded like a good idea to both boys. Alex wouldn't have to look after Rian and Zack wouldn't have to struggle with rent by himself, everyone wins.

The elder boy put his pile-of-shit car in to gear, pulled out of the drive, swerved on to the road and set off towards his little brother's school.