Chapter Eighteen, part one - Family Ties

Start from the beginning

Carlosi began to shake. He stared at his son. He lifted his arm and pointed to the door.

"Get out," he said in a low voice. "Get out and don't come back." His voice rose as his face turned from red to almost purple. "I can see that I will have to take over your duties and lead my soldiers myself." He straightened. "I disown you, Lorenzo. You are no longer my heir."

Lorenzo looked lost. He stood, stooped, staring at his father as the man fumed. Liriel tucked the baby back into his carrier and took Lorenzo by the arm.

"Come my love," she said softly, avoiding Carolsi's blazing eyes. "We're not wanted here."

#

There was little else to do, so they returned to Alterra. They owed Ergin the horse. Liriel wasn't certain how long they would be welcome in their small home, but perhaps Lorenzo and she could build one for themselves and live in Alterra. They might be accepted there, if no where else. But she wondered how long was Alterra able to remain safe and hidden.

On the return ride, Lorenzo hardly spoke. Liriel knew he hurt. She could have helped if he were injured, but Liriel knew little about healing emotional hurts. There were Marulan who specialized such things, but it wasn't one of her talents. This wasn't an illness.

She wondered how a man could turn away his only living child. Lorenzo hadn't betrayed his father, as she had defied hers, his one error had been to fall in love with the wrong woman. There were worse things he could have done. She decided Lord Carlosi was missing a heart.

When they arrived at Ergin and Adina's door, the couple were surprised to see them.

Ergin appeared sympathetic. "From your presence here, I must assume things did not go well in Madrezza."

Lorenzo looked defeated as Liriel had never seen. He stared down at his boots.

"Well, don't just stand out there in the chill, Ergin, invite them in." Adina, ever practical, made Liriel smile. "I think we should bring out the Xerez Cadiza. Lorenzo looks like he needs a drink."

Adina squeezed Liriel's hand. Liriel thought she would burst into tears. They were both too kind.

They sat while Ergin and Adina gathered food and drink. Liriel had never tried the local brew. It was a creation of the Trillas of Castillon, an enriched and aged wine with a woodsy taste and strong tranquilizing properties. Thick and syrupy, it warmed her right out to her fingers and toes. She decided she liked it. Lorenzo, though pleased at first to have something familiar, nursed his cup for a long while, hardly drinking.

Liriel related their meeting with Lorenzo's father. Adina shook her head. Ergin looked sad.

"I'm sorry, I was hopeful you would be able to convince your father. I certainly would have listened, but I'm only the leader of a small town."

Adina took the baby and tickled him on his feet. He was beginning to have longer periods of wakefulness. He smiled and gurgled as he pumped his feet up and down. Despite the events of the day, Liriel couldn't help but smile. She turned to see that Lorenzo was also smiling, and was relieved.

"You will, of course, stay here, won't you?" Ergin said.

"I'm sorry we are intruding once more on your little home. I wish we had more choices." Lorenzo ran his fingers through his hair.

"Nonsense, I can't say when things have been more interesting around here than they are now." His mouth hiked up into a crooked grin that made Liriel want to laugh.

Lorenzo finally tucked the last gulp of wine back and set his cup down. "I'm sorry we are taking your painting room. We were thinking we might build ourselves a home here, if the village is willing to have us stay. We don't know where we can go that will be acceptable for both of us."

"There's no hurry. Besides, you may find things change for you sooner than you expect."

Liriel thought Ergin looked older and wiser than she had noticed before.

Lorenzo shook his head. "I doubt my father will change his mind. He never has about anything. He was angry when my brother was killed. I was angry too. He said all he had left was the useless son and it was better to have no son at all. He's had his way now."

Ergin looked far away for a moment. "I've lived a long time, Lorenzo. Longer than your people ever live by many times. I have seen many things change that were thought to be impossible. Circumstances may favour you yet, and sooner than you expect."

Lorenzo stared. Likely he had never thought of how old Ergin might be. Liriel had no idea either, but the signs were there. They would do well to listen to his wisdom, and Adina's.

_________________________________

I hope you enjoyed this instalment of Ungloved. If you did, please consider voting so that it has a chance to receive some more attention by rising up the ranks in the (rather large) Fantasy category. I also enjoy comments, so please feel free to let me know what you thought.

Cheers!

Rebecca