Chapter Twentyeight - Neon Moon

Começar do início

That's when I realized it was the tiny fish I caught this morning. By the looks of it's poor torn body, you could tell Bale had worked so hard to take the scales off and pull out the bones, while keeping the meat intact. It was much too small to cook, but he had done his best. A wide smile crept across my face as I began to laugh; touched by this gesture.

Soon, we were all laughing at my little fish. What Dad didn't know was underneath the table, Bale and I were grazing each others feet, showing each other what the moment meant to us.

Sitting back now, we all had full bellies. The food was much more amazing than I thought it would be, surprizing me in the best of ways. So Bale Hax; a cook, a very wonderful cook. I never would have imagined that. Bale let me rest my foot on his as we ate, almost like holding my hand, but less visable. Whenever Dad wasn't looking, I would smile to him and he would wink; the way all cowboys do down here. Bale's winks made me blush viciously though, since his were special.

I offered to do the dishes while Dad went back into the living room with his book, listening to quiet country music. Bale swiped a dish rag from the oven handle to dry plates that I washed. As we began, a country song we both knew came onto the radio Dad was listening to. We sang along with the few words we knew, making up a few here and there, and dancing a bit, keeping quiet.

Bale serenaded me, making me giggle and blush. He gripped at his heart, pretending the words truly expressed what I meant to him, even though the song was about beer. I laughed and lightly bumped into his arm, the skin on my arms tingling at his touch. I imagined how it'd feel when he kissed me again.

After w few moments I handed Bale the last washed plate and he dried it. As I stood there waiting, I heard Dad snoring in the next room. When I crept over to the doorway and peered in on him, his book was laying on his face and he was out. Before my chuckle could finish, a pair of arms wrapped around my waist and pulled me close. When I turned to face Bale he looked between my blue eyes, looking deep into them. A light smile danced on his lips while I waited for a reason for this embrace.

"What?" I giggled.

"You know, you'd have a lot more fun with me, tonight, at the party." He whispered, not wanting to wake my dad and have him spoil this moment.

"I already promised Ashley I'd go downtown with her." I reminded him. Bale had told me about the party this morning. Not really wanting to go, I made plans to go out with Ashley instead. I've never been one for parties, not even my own. At the graduation party I had mostly stayed outside with the few people I knew very well. The look in Bale's eyes told me he wanted me to go, so badly. And something told me I'd actually like going to a party with him. Maybe because he had been my friend for so long, and now that we're... a bit more than that... I know he'll look out for me.

"Why don't you invite her to come along?" He suggested. "I'm sure she was going anyway."

True, Ashley had said she was planning on going to a party, but said she'd much rather spend time with me. I wanted to spend time with her as well; get to know her, become good friends. And then again, there was nothing I'd like more than to spend the evening with Bale, possibly in his arms, listening to the babble of a near river and look up at a smiling moon.

"Alright," I sighed. "I guess I have no choice."

Bales arms tightened around me as his smile grew, showing how happy he was. I looked into his eyes, wanting so badly to kiss him, but he held himself back as he did before.

"Annabelle..." He said after a minute, his smile faded.

"Yes?"

"Will you go with me to the party?" He asked.