She Will Be Loved- chp 2

Start from the beginning

We pulled up at the school with like twenty minutes to spare before they had there morning assembly. We took Emi and walked along the corridor looking for the door that said Pre-K 2. While walking I got a glimpse of the music room and saw a few students having what looked like an early morning music class. Dang, school hadn't even started and they were already learning, I was already beginning to feel sorry for Emi, what was I bringing her into?

"Here we are kiddo, your second home 'til next year." Jayden told Emi, as he pointed to the door before us. My heart began pounding furiously as he turned the door knob and pushed. Why was I so nervous? It wasn't as if this was my first day. I guess I just wanted to make sure she would be alright. Would she make friends? Would they all be mean to her and make her cry? What if she changed her mind half way through the day and started crying to go home? "Stop that." I looked toJayden with a puzzled look. What was I suppose to stop. "You'll scare her with your negativity, don't worry she'll be fine." I smiled over at him. It was amazing just how well he could read me.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize to me, it's this little lady who you've been preventing from entering." 

I looked down at Emi. "I'm sorry Emi, let's go."

"Yay!"

From the corner of my eyes I saw Jayden shake his head while making the sign of a cross. "Mm-hmm, and I'm the negative one?" He grinned sheepishly over at me before swinging the door open. Upon entering I felt more out of place than I imagine Emi would have. All the mothers looked atleast thirty. Granted a few might have been in their ate twenties. I felt myself take a step backwards but not without reason; they were all staring at me. The woman I assumed to be the teacher walked walked over to us.

"Where are your parents?" She asked sternly as she folded her arms and looked down at Emi. I felt my lips become glued close. "Tell them that we do not tolerate such slackness, if they cannot drop off the child themselves then our institution does not see a future for the child here." As she spoke I could tell that all eyes were on us. I was starting to wish we had just taken her to public school, then all of this could have been avoided.

"But she is the mother and I am the father." Jayden said, feigning some new level of patience that we both knew he didn't possess. The teacher's eyes went wide.

"Then how is it that she got accepted--"

"Jayden Pryce," Jayden said, extending his hand towards her, "From Pryce Enterprises, I'm the one who donated $500,000 towards your new music room and library; the one you are going to name one of them off of." He said giving more than subtle hints. My eyes bulged just as wide as the teacher's now were at the figure he had said. When did he even do that . . .? The room fell into pockets of whisper and I received a few disdainful glances. 

"So what's the name of this little darling?" The teacher asked with a smile, "By the way I'm Ms.Rigshaw." She said taking Jayden's hand and shaking it firmly.

"This is my daughter Emily and I want her to come home every single day with a new and exciting story to tell me about how great her day was." Jayden said, his smile still in place. That only made the looks nastier. I tugged on Jayden's shirt, hoping he would take the hint and cool it because he obviously forgot who would be attending the PTA meetings. The bell that I figure started the day rang. 

"Alright boys and girls, this is what we call the silence bell." The teacher said, with the tone of an early childhood educator. "It's the very first bell of the day and we all have to be very  quiet and no one can move." Slowly the children began settling down. After waiting about a minute another bell rang. "Now get into a line, young ones." She said ushering them into a line. She took hold of Emi's hand and Emi tried frantically to pull away.