"I was injured, My Lady, I accept that, but the manner which I reached the Place is not something I orchestrated," Delilah retorted, feeling surrounded.

"Not orchestrated," Another Lady laughed sarcastically, "We are not so naïve to believe that in this day and age a lady would not take all steps possible to lure a man. Do you wish to entrap him into a marriage?"

"Hardly," Delilah answered curtly. The blood pumping in her ears was blocking out any sounds except for her heart.

"You know what they say about unmarriagable young Ladies," The first woman spoke to her friend, voice dripping with innuendo.

"Yes, what do they say about them? I should like to know that as well," Delilah asked with slow deliberation suddenly feeling strength course up her body. She was elated that keeping company with the Prince had some given her some advantage; he had unconsciously taught her some mannerisms which were extremely good at intimidation.

"I say, what's going on over here," A woman broke through the circle, "This is a Ball not a country fair where such accumulation of traffic would be acceptable-"

"Lady Ether," Delilah bowed keeping her voice in control. To her surprise, the Lady she addressed bowed back.

"I was expecting to see you, Lady Delilah but not surrounded by this lot," Lady Ether looked extremely displeased, "I gather they were being nosy again."

"Nosy! That's preposterous, we were inquiring after this suspect young Lady who not only concealed her presence but used arts and allurements to ensnare the Prince," The eldest of the group pleaded their case.

"Enough! She wasn't keeping her presence concealed. I knew all along and so did our Royal Highness, Queen Rosemary. If our Queen did not wish to disclose this information then that only tells the world how aware she is of common gossipers. Now disperse, Ladies, this is not your Drawing room," Lady Ether looked highly disgruntled.

"This was unexpected," She spoke again after a moment of silence.

"Hardly, though I was just not expecting such a direct assault," Delilah mumbled to her shoes.

"You can join us if you like. I hope you remember that all Ladies from the Capital are not like this," Lady Ether nodded towards her own group which consisted of extremely high ranking women who possessed much grace and delicacy of manner.

"Forgive me, but I don't feel like I would be good company," Delilah answered sadly.

"I understand," Lady Ether patted her gently on the shoulder. This was a common gesture amongst friends but when a high standing Lady performed it in front of hundreds of prying eyes it was impossible to be unnoticed. Delilah bowed again and walked away from the middle of the room until she reached the door. She paused for a second remembering her cousin but decided that maybe her cousin was better off without her company.

___________________________________________________________________________

To say Damian was in a foul mood was an understatement. The dark cloud over his head was not visible but could be felt by many. He prowled through another corner glad to find it empty when he heard a soft sobbing sound. He wanted to ignore it but it sounded like a Lady and he knew he could not be so cruel.

Damian wondered if it was one of the maids he had nearly bitten the head off after she had suggested that his hair style would be unimpressive for the Lady he wanted to woo. He had angrily informed her that there was no such Lady. But he had been in a rage in front of his staff so many times that there would be no reaction to any furniture being thrown about so he discounted the possibility.