Chapter 15: You Can't Give Up

Start from the beginning

I nodded. "Ok where were you planning?"

"This place called 'The Loft'," he said as he scratched the back of his neck. Suddenly he looked so unsure of himself, as if this wasn't the best move he could make.

I smiled as I remembered a time when I used to go there when I was little. Grandma must have told him about it. I haven't been there since my parents died. "Sounds good. I'll just my shoes on and grab my purse," I said then ran up stairs to get my purse and some sneakers.

I looked at myself in the mirror. I didn't look put together. I was bruised and I had bags under my eyes. My hair was slightly greasy and my lips were chapped. I felt ashamed that I went out in public looking like this. But now, I felt more motivation to pull myself together. I ran dry shampoo through my hair and smeared some bright lipstick on then ran back down stairs to join Carter

Within minutes we parked in the lot of the restaurant. I felt anxiety creep into my mind as I looked up at the log style cabin. This was the last place I went out with my parents before they died and memories came flooding back to me.

My parents took the week off of work and we spent it as a family. The Loft was the last day off that week. We laughed and played pool until almost midnight. As a 14 year old girl, there was something in the air that last night that I couldn't place. But now looking back at it, I could see that it was regret. They knew something was going to happen but yet they didn't tell me.

"Annalise? Are you ok?" Carter asked as he shook me slightly. I looked at the ground, I didn't realize I wasn't moving.

I looked up at him with a fake smile. "I'm fine."

Carter frowned, although didn't say anything. He knew I wasn't. "Want to go home?" he asked kindly, as if he cared.

I shook my head. I thought I moved past all my demons from when my parents died, but I guess I was wrong. I thought that if I went here, it would help me to move on better. Because honestly, I wasn't sure if I would ever fully move on from my parents death. "No, lets go," I said as I took a step forward. I followed Carter into the restaurant and looked around.

<>

The Loft was big but it had a homey feel to it. The smell of fried food and poppy music welcomed us instantly. The wood floor was worn and slightly sticky from split drinks. The bar to the side was filled and the tables were half full with families. This place looked exactly how I remembered it.

Girl at the front desk flocked to Carter with a flirty girly giggle, "hey, Carter."

I crossed my arms over my chest as she looked at me from head to toe. Her voice was the most annoying thing I have ever heard.

"Hey Alice. Table for two please."

I watched as her smile slide off her face. She glared at me as if she already claimed him then turned to get some menus. "Follow me please," she said and started to walked more into the restaurant.

She gave us a seat next to the bar and pool tables, probably the loudest table in the house but a faint smile came to her face as she looked at me.

Why you little prissy piece of crap. She did this on purpose. If only she knew I had no intention on dating him. Trust me, if she knew, she could have him.

We both sat down and she turned to Carter and said, "If you need anything just say" and with that walked away.

She hated me and she didn't even know me. "She's nice," I said sarcastically when she was out of ear shot. 

"She's.... flirty," he said and laughed.

"So I'm guessing you come here a lot if she knew you're name."