21. I Totally Agree...With Myself

Twenty-One

I Totally Agree...With Myself

I wanted to thank Elena more than I probably could. If not for her helping me with the shower, I would not have smelled very pretty. That's what happens when you're out of it for a few days, even if she and Violet kicked John out of the room for a little while so they could change my clothes and bandages while I was still out.

And why exact did I feel the need to thank her? If not for her, John might have rethought everything said and done the night before when he woke up the next morning.

Thanks to the rose-scented soap and shampoo Violet had stocked in the bathroom, I was good to go and smelling pretty. I also had a good laugh about it when John said he was going to have to ask her where she'd bought it. I'd asked if he wanted some for himself...and he proceeded made me blush with his response before leaning in to kiss me.

Late the next morning, I woke up in what could have been a compromising position before, but not now that everything was out in the open. I was lying beside John, the right half of my body practically on top of him. He had one arm wrapped around me and the other holding my hand on his chest as I snuggled into his side, head cushioned in the crook of his neck.

I didn't want to wake up if it meant I had to move, but we would have to get up and face the world for yet another day soon.

It didn't have to be too soon, though.

Lifting my head, I looked over at the clock, seeing just how late it was. Shouldn't have someone come in already?

The slight creaking of the door opening made me look over. I was expecting Elena or Violet, but it was Lacey who had peeked in, a smile on her face as she held onto the doorknob. Her blonde curls were pulled up into a bun on the top of her head, a light green bow tied around it to match her dress.

Seeing I was awake, she ran over to the side of the bed, crossing her arms on the mattress.

"Mummy and Auntie Elena says yous and Unca John needed to wake up, so I came to do it!" she whispered not so quietly.

I couldn't help but smile. She was just too adorable. I moved carefully, pulling my hand from John's, and sat up, crossing my legs under me. My shoulder pulled slightly, but it didn't hurt like it had before, just a little sore. "You want to help me wake him up?" I asked, nodding to him.

Grinning, she pulled herself up onto the bed and crawled over to his side. She giggled and reached up to poke his cheek with her finger. "Unca John, wake up!" she said, continuing to poke him.

I was trying to hold in my laughter as she started poking his arm and chest with her other hand. I knew when John woke up, but he didn't open his eyes. A small smile was slowly forming on his lips.

"Unca John," Lacey said, giggling as she leaned her face close to his. "Wake..."

Before she could finish, John opened his eyes, grabbing her up when she squealed and jumped in surprise, and started tickling her. She was laughing so hard her face turned bright pink and tried to do everything she could to push him away.

"Unca John...stop it! Pwease!"

He laughed as he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into his lap, and gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Well, since you said please."

John was still smiling when he looked over at me, his arms tightly wrapped around Lacey. The image of him with this tiny little girl in his arms...it was probably one of the sweetest things I'd seen, especially when Lacey wrapped her arms around one of his and leaned the side of her head against his chest, smiling.