8. I Talk To Strangers...Well, Just One

Eight

I Talk To Strangers...Well, Just One

Elena and I made it back to the house with ten minutes to spare. The front door was open and, just as we made it to the steps, Paul and Rosaline stepped out. Paul was carrying a black leather bag a little smaller and a messenger bag.

"How'd it go?" he asked, looking toward us as he walked to the back to put the bags in the trunk. "There weren't any problems, were there?"

Elena shook her head, smiling over at me. "None at all," she said. "It went off without a hitch. No one recognized her, even with the story playing on the news the entire time we were there."

Both Paul and Rosaline let out a sigh a relief. Everything was definitely happening then and, hopefully, it would go just as smoothly as Elena's little experiment.

"John will be down in a few minutes," Paul said, and nodded at me. "So Emmy, while we're waiting on him, I want to show you something."

Elena followed me toward the trunk of the car just as Paul pulled something out of the messenger bag – a passport, a new license, and more papers. When I looked at the passport and license, I saw my new identity. Well, for however long I was going to be Emmiline Banks from San Diego, California. As for the photo, it was the same one from my actual license, though they manipulated it so I had dark hair.

"We made you four different sets," Paul said in a hushed voice, just in case someone passed by. "All the names are different. Emmy is a nickname, so John won't have to call you by anything else. You're from different cities, too, and different birth dates also. Just remember to keep every identity together so you don't mix them up. I've grouped them all, as well as John's, and put them in here." He patted the messenger bag before closing it. Rosaline handed a small, crossbody bag to him, where he put the passport, license, and papers. When he pulled out a phone, Elena took a turn explaining.

"Since John said he had to break yours in Paris, I thought you could use a new one. I tweaked it so it's secure and untraceable, so John can't complain at all. Also," she said, reaching for my new bag. She pulled out a new iPod with the headphones wound around it. "I got you this since he said he broke that one, too. It's got every artist you said you liked on it as well as others I thought you might. It's just the Classic, so it doesn't get a Wi-Fi signal. John can't say anything about that one either. And even if he does, you can just put on the headphones and block his annoying voice out."

I smiled as she put them back in the bag, which she then handed to me. "Thanks. I could use them."

"I know," she laughed. "And I'll call to see how everything is going. Dad's going to check up with John, too, but for different reasons. I'm sure you'll need some girl talk after spending all your time with that annoying brother of mine."

She laughed again as I rolled my eyes and Paul closed the trunk. John still hadn't made an appearance yet.

"I'll go see what he's doing," Paul said as Elena, Rosaline, and I headed toward the front of the car, and he jogged up the steps and disappeared inside.

I walked to the passenger side and slid into the seat, setting my bag between my feet. Rosaline and Elena stood by the open door.

"I'll try to call whenever you guys get to the hotel. It'll be late, but you'll still be on London time."

I nodded. "Okay."

"And don't let John get to you," Rosaline went on. "I see the way he treats you, but he won't be like that the entire time."