Chapter 28: Showdowns

Start from the beginning

Breathing deeply, Veronica gave me a smirk. “Hah! That shut your little -”

I couldn’t help myself. There was such a big temptation. Yes people, I slapped her pretty little face and I really hoped that red handprint lasted on her left cheek forever.

As I looked at Veronica, I felt anger but also a tinge of pity. Even though I’ve done a few bad things in my life, I would never stoop as low as her. She viewed herself as superior and I really hoped some common sense would knock into her one day. If you thought about it, she could get any guy she wanted but her horrible personality ruined everything. If she wasn’t such a plastic, maybe guys would actually take a liking to her.

Correction: maybe everyone may actually take a liking to her.

“You’ll pay for that!” She screeched, lunging for my hair. I felt her pull violently on my hair and I yelped, surprised. To make things even, I grabbed a fistful of her silky hair and yanked hard on it, causing her to howl. After getting out of my grip, she tried to claw my face but I kept her at bay. I ended up getting a scratch near my nose so I tried to push her away.

I could hear Clara calling for help and the sound of footsteps coming over to break apart our little catfight in the background.

I finally ended up succeeding with pushing Veronica away from me and she nearly fell backwards since she was in ridiculously high stilettos. If not for Henry, she would have fallen on the ground. As I watched him lock her arms so she couldn’t do anything, I felt the same thing happen to me.

“She’s not worth it, Lainie.”

It was Keith. I slowly started to relax and decided to stop, even though I still felt Veronica still needed to be taught a lesson or two. I could feel my heart pounding fast from the exhilaration of our fight and tried hard not to like it.

While Keith had an easy job of keeping me back since I was now motionless, Henry meanwhile, was struggling. Veronica was screaming at him to let go of her and was trying very hard to step on his poor foot.

Veronica!” Peter boomed. “Stop NOW!”

After a few more seconds of flailing around, she finally realised the person who had spoke was practically her boss. She stopped and looked up, her eyes wide and her dark locks looking very much like a haystack. I secretly took a bit of satisfaction in that because she prided herself on her looks.

“I don’t know what’s going on here but it must stop now and it will NEVER happen again. Do you two understand?”

I bit my lip and felt slightly upset that Peter was not only angry, but disappointed in me. He clearly hadn’t expected something so outrageous from me. I kept my eyes on the floor as I answered quietly, “Yes Peter.”

It felt like I was in elementary school again and the teacher would say she was disappointed in me for something like not sharing food with my classmates. She would give me this look and I would feel so unworthy of myself.

“Good. Now everybody, back to work!” He barked, obviously irritated with the people who had stopped working to watch the fight between Veronica and I.

When I looked up, I saw Keith give me a soft smile. “If you ask me, I thought you were pretty badass,” he informed before walking away. Despite the situation I was in, I couldn’t help but laugh.

Henry then came over to me after having a few words with Peter. “Come on, we’re leaving,” was all he said.

My heart dropped as I followed him to the car. He was mad at me for sure. I slowly got into the passenger’s seat and sat there, staring ahead. Would he give me the silent treatment or would he go ballistic? I’d rather him shout at me. It was better than keeping his thoughts to himself so I wouldn’t know what he was thinking and die slowly. Henry didn’t say anything so I decided to start.