Chapter Five

When we arrived at friendlys, I had gotten so nervous if he could hear me talk id probably be stuttering. He stopped the car in a parking spot right out front, and before I could even get my fingers around the door handle he had jumped out of the car and ran around to my side, opening the door for me. I pulled out a pen and peice of paper I had stuffed into my pocket and wrote 'so polite' on it.

            "I try" He smiled at me. Inside, we got a table close to the windows. I could tell Jackson liked to be near windows, because he was near the windows in the library too.

            "Hi ! welcome to friendlys, my name is Sarah and ill be your server for the afternoon. would you like to try one of our specials today?" A chipper, beautiful blonde waiter bounced up to our table, her hair in a side ponytail. I scoffed. Jackson would probably be drooling.

            "No thank you" Jackson answered, his eyes never leaving where I was.

            "Drinks then?" She asked, maintaining that same chipper voice. It was actually beyond annoying. I laughed out loud, and Jackson gave a sort of startled look around himself.

            "Uh, yeah ill have a coke. Kenedee?" He looked over towards me. I wrote on the peice of paper, 'me too'. The waitress looked like she was going to pee herself.

            "You're that invisible girl arent you?! well obviously you are, but oh my god I really honestly didn't believe it! oh my god I can't believe im actually serving a famous person. Thats awesome! I'll be right back with your drinks!" The waitress spoke in a flurry of bubblyness, and I couldn't help but be mortified. I mean, at least she wasnt scared of me, but I guess I was just used to that type of response, not someone fangirling over me.

            "Well that was weird!" Jackson said, turning to me again after watching the ditzy girl trail off. she brought us our drinks, and me and Jackson started looking for food in our menus.

            "Can I start asking you questions now?" He asked, peeking over his menu at me. I smiled, and wrote 'not yet, lets just order first to avoid interruptions, I hate that'.

            "Fair enough" and we didn't talk to each other again until the waitress came back.

            "Did you guys have enough time to decide what you would like?" She held her pen poised and ready on the pad.

            After we had ordered, Jackson didn't waste anytime asking me questions.

            "Whats your favorite color?" I took out my phone, too make the answers go by faster.

            'Thats the best you could come up with? Blue'

            "hmmm, then when is your birthday?" He smiled that heartbreaking, white-toothed, gorgeous smile. I was starting to love that smile.

            'August 14'th, whens yours?'

            "august 31'st, how funny, we really do have way too much in common" He continued to ask me random questions about myself. Where I grew up, what my favorite foods and drinks were, if I had any siblings.

            "Can I ask you some personal stuff?" Our food had come, and I stopped mid-bite, wondering what he meant by 'personal'. So, I asked him.

            "Oh, I guess.. just about you, and what happend and all" He looked down at his plate, playing with his mashed potatoes. I smiled at him, even though he couldnt see it, and began typing out a little autobiography on my phone. I gave it too him, and he read it too himself.

            "You have only been invisible for a few years? thats so weird.. and your mom, wow I don't think id be as harsh as she is.. wow, im really sorry Kenedee.. Could I ask what you looked like before?.. like.. before you became invisible I mean" Jackson glanced up from my phone, and for the first time, I noticed the genuine, deep blue curiosity his beautiful eyes held. How strange..

            "you have beautiful eyes" I told him, even though I knew he couldn't hear me. Jacksons attention was on my phone.

            "Thanks" He said, looking over to his side. When he saw that noone was there, his eyes widened and he looked really shocked.

            "Did you just talk?" he asked me. I felt like I was going to have a heart attack. Could it be that Jackson Powell actually heard me talk?

            "yes?" I muttered, thinking it was just a mistake. Jackson started to smile really big.

            "This is wicked. I can actually hear you. Like, wow. you have a cute voice!" He let out a low husky laugh. I sat, stunned really. Noone has been able to hear me for.. about 3 years now.

            "At least it beats typing and writing" I began to eat again, trying to figure out what exactly was going on right now.

            "Oh my god! I really hope this doesnt go away." He handed me back my phone, and I scrolled through my gallery to show Jackson something I hadnt shown anyone in a very long time. It was my class picture my freshman year. Even though I was invisible, somehow, someway, one picture had come through on my phone. it was actually me, and i was actually NOT invisible. I handed the phone to Jackson and closed my eyes, not wanting to hear his response. He took a sharp intake of breath, and stared up at me.

            "Im sorry Kenedee" He whispered.

            "WHAT?!" I snapped.

            "I honestly had NO idea how beautiful you are." He shot me a half smile and for some reason, my heart skipped. Stupid Jackson, Stupid football playing jock complimenting me and being all sweet and stuff. I was starting to get extremly confused. Sighing, I leaned back against the booth seat. I looked at my plate, and felt my stomach ache. I was full.

            "I think we should get back too that project, we havent even started" I pushed my plate away. Jackson agreed, and once again we were on our way to the library.