Chapter One

I was, in every sense of the word, technically and literally invisible. I sat here, invisible as can be, in row 4, seat 7. Everyone in class 2-C knew I was there, they were all very well aware of my existence, but no one could hear nor see me. 

I sat quietly, as I usually did most days, violently scribbling down the notes Ms. Spiell scrawled on the board. To the average human, I was just a floating pen on a desk. 

Sighing sadly, I slammed my pen down. I knew no matter how hard I sighed, no one would ever hear it. My pen tilted precariously on the edge of my desk before tumbling to the ground. I reached to grab it, and the girl next to me leaned awkwardly away, acting as though I was planning on touching her or something. I wanted to scream at her. 

"Kenedee" Ms. Spiell called. I froze in my spot. That was me.. but why was she calling on me? She NEVER called on me.. 

"Kenedee," she continued, "Can you tell me what the misplaced modifier is in this sentence?" She paused, waiting for my answer, nervousness evident in her pale expression. She waited patiently slow for me as i scrawled down my answer on the mini whiteboard that was on my desk, and held it up for her too see. 

Some of the kids giggled. One of the boys muttered 'freak' underneath his breath. I wanted to murder every single one of them. 

"Good job, that is correct!" Noticeable anxiety evaporated from her pale features. The class ran for a few moments longer, and then the bell rang signaling lunch. I gathered my things and headed for the door. 

At lunch, I sat alone. Nobody really knew me, or really felt the need to get to know me. I suppose in their eyes, i wasn't even real. You can't see me, there for I MUST be some optical illusion or something. Kenedee, the invisible freak. 

It was for that reason that I was completely shocked when a boy sat at my table across from me. At first I thought it was a mistake. People don't notice me, let alone sit at my lunch table, But then he started to talk, to me. 

"uh... hey Kenedee, I'm uh... Jackson Powell. I'm a senior... and uh... yeah, i was actually just hoping that you would read this.." He slid an envelope across the width of the table. 

"uh, so yeah! catch ya later." I waited. He rose from his seat and headed back to his table of friends, who were all gawking at him strangely. They were all cheerleaders and football jocks, like in the goddamn movies.  

I took the letter and slid it into my backpack. Jackson glanced over his shoulder and smiled at me quickly. Maybe I would read that letter. But not right now. The bell echoed through the cafeteria, telling us it was the end of lunch. 

Jackson kept smiling at me as he left. I rolled my eyes, for no one to see obviously, and then headed to my creative writing class. 

~~~