I Hate Waiting. Why Is It So Boring?

Chapter 9

I am getting quite bored waiting, and at 60 hours, only the 13th person has passed, a weird guy and his monkey. I wonder where Gon and Killua are, they can't be that bad. Maybe someone else is slowing them down. Hisoka is making a card tower and I am watching him, waiting for him to make a mistake.

It really is great, me sitting here. No one else wants to get near Hisoka, so there is plenty of room for me to lay down and just rest. I decide to take a short nap before the next phase, and when I wake up there are about three minutes left. Killua still isn't here and looking to my left I see Hisoka still has his eyes closed.

"It's finally over." One of the three brothers say.

"Yeah that took forever." A different brother replies.

I really don't want Killua and Gon to go out, quite yet, so I lean up against the wall and wait. Less than a second later another door is opening and everyone turns to look. A guy stumbling and bleeding mutters, "Made it in time." Before he trips and dies. One of the brother's check his pulse to make sure, even though it is obvious.

"One minute remains." The loudspeaker says.

"Looks like it will only be the nineteen of us here" The brother speaks and Hisoka still doesn't move. I know that he has basically marked Gon for himself, so I wonder if knows if Gon is going to pass or not. Hisoka smiles and "hmmms" quietly and sexually. He must have used en to know that Gon is about to arrive, or he wouldn't have smiled. I smirk, they are going to make it, at the last moment. It is rather funny when you think about it.

The door opens not a moment later and Gon, Kurapika, and Killua step out. "Kurapika, applicant 404 is twentieth to pass. Killua, applicant 99 is twenty-first to pass. Gon applicant 405 is twenty-second to pass. Total time seventy-one hours and fifty-nine minutes." Gon has a smile on his face, Kurapika looks tired, and Killua looks bored. Just three of them with thirty seconds left.

"Leorio, applicant 403 is twenty-third to pass. Tonpa, applicant 16 is twenty-fourth to pass. Total time seventy-one hours and fifty-nine minutes." Both of them are trying to walk through the door at the same time, and because Tonpa is so fat, they are having trouble. They all passed Must have been a team thing, because otherwise I don't think Leorio or Tonpa would have passed at all. They all seem so close now. I wonder what sorts of things they had to do to get through the tower and why it took them so long.

"The third phase of the exam is over. Twenty-five applicant have passed. One has died." One of the doors open and I see natural light for the first time in forever. (Haha frozen reference...) "Hey, Hisoka. It was really fun playing with you, but I'm going to go over there now. See you." I get up and walk away, the only thing I get in return is a closed eye smile from the clown. I run over to Gon and Killua. "Gon, Killua, Kurapika!!!" I shout, causing me to get stares before I glomp them.

"Hey what about me?" Leorio yells.

"Yes, even you Laorio."

"It's Leorio!" He shouts.

"Anyways, I am so glad you guys made it, I was getting worried." I say.

"No worries, Skyler." Gon says giving me a big smile.

"Of course we made it." Is what I get from Killua. They say as we walk outside.

"Ladies and gentlemen. Congrats on escaping trick tower." A guy in big glasses says. "Only the fourth and fifth phase are left. The fourth one will be taking place on Zevil Island." He says pointing behind himself.

"Let's begin. I will need you to draw lots to determine who will hunt and who will be hunted. In here I have twenty-four numbered cards. Your ID numbers are on the cards. Now I need all of you to draw a card in the order you escaped trick tower. Will the first person please step forward."

Everyone looks around, and Hisoka obviously steps forward. He walks up to the box that contains the cards and takes one before walking back. Without anymore words, Illumi walks forward and slams his hand into the box, taking a card. I'm next. I walk forward, receiving gasps of shock as I put my hand in the box and take a card out. Why do men always think that they are better than girls? I hear the box beep and look at the card, blank. But the edge of the card is flipping up, so that means that we have to peel the cover off to see what is on it.

I walk back to Gon and Killua.

"Wow, Skyler, you must be really good if you were third!" Gon enthusiastically says.

"Not really, I just had some luck." I fake blush. Killua looks at me, judging me again. When most of the people have got their cards, Gon says,

"Hey Killua, Skyler, he said something about hunting and being hunted. Do you think we have to fight each other?"

"Probably." Killua says whistling and walking up to get his card.

"Don't worry Gon, I am sure you will be fine." I reassure him. But either way, things are sure to be entertaining.

After everyone takes a card, the guy with glasses tells us to take the seal off. The card indicates your target. He tells us and people gasp, hiding their tags while I keep mine visible. I wonder if they are stupid because he basically told us that before we drew the cards. He tells us they also recorded which card we got so we can dispose of the cards.

The objective is also to get your targets tag. We can get the tags however we want, including killing. This gets me to smirk and I feel a bit giddy inside. How long has it been since I've killed? We need 6 points to advance to the fifth phase. Our own tag and are target's tag are worth three points. Everyone else's is worth one point.

A boat then picks us all up and we get on, sailing toward Zevil Island. A very excited woman congratulates us and tells us that we are automatically qualified to take next year's exam. She finally shuts up after noticing that none of us actually care about what she is talking about. Gon and Killua leave Leorio and Kurapika, so I go with them. They sit down and stay silent for a while.

"What numbers did you guys draw?" Killua asks us.

"How 'bout you?" Gon responds.

"Secret." Killua states. Then we all smile and laugh for a second.

"Don't worry, I didn't get either of you guys." I say.

"You guys aren't my target either." Killua says. Awwwww, he looks like a cute stuffed animal. Curse my young girly side.

"Me too!" Gon says.

"Show each other our number at the same time?" Killua asks and we nod. "Ready and... Go!." We say and put our numbers forward. Gon has 44, Killua has 199 and I have 198. Killua is taken aback with surprise as well as me. "44 is... Seriously?" Killua says.

"You have really bad luck." I tell Gon.

"You think so? Who is 199 and 198?" He asks us.

"I don't know." Killua tells him truthfully.

"Well aren't you glad I do, then?" I tease him. "Don't worry I'll just tell you, they are both two of the Amori brothers, so it's going to be no problem getting their tags." I smile and him. "I am going to go check on Kurapika and Leorio." I lie to them. I get up and wave at them before going to play cards with Hisoka. He wins most of the time, but it is fun none the less. So, for the rest of the two hours, I play with Hisoka. He really isn't that creepy. In fact, I am beginning to like him. In a friendish way.... Jeez.

A/N: For a while, I have been posting fairly regularly. About one chapter per week. I will try to keep this trend, because school is way easier than I thought it was going to be, but since it is still the beginning, I don't know how hard it will get. As always, thanks for reading. Don't forget to comment. I have narrowed down Skyler's love interest to Killua, Hisoka, and Illumi. Who do you think is the best for her?

Can you guess what grade I am in? Whoever guesses correctly first, I'll tag you in the beginning of the next chapter.