My thoughts stopped as his lips slightly brushed against my left ear, I stiffened.

•••

Are these things supposed to happen? I mean, of course teenagers do this and they kiss and sometimes it even leads to some nasty things and furthermore pregnancy, but best friends? If my life was a teen novel or TV show, maybe. But are we, Nick and I, supposed to do this? Are we supposed to kiss? Us?

My mind told me to pull away, kick him in the nuts and scurry to my room. But I was confused to the core to find my body responding almost naturally and effortlessly to his advances. Bloody hell, this is very confusing and–

Somebody call 911 because this boy is really going to kiss me.

Although I've never kissed a boy, or a girl, before, I can say that Nick's lips are the softest I have ever felt. I genuinely thought men's lips are supposed to be firm and not this. Nick pulled away slightly and opened his mouth, I smelled mint. He began to close the distance again but before he could plant his lips to mine, a BAM interrupted us and brought me spiraling back to reality.

"Show yourself!" I sharply sucked in a breath and pushed Nick off of me.

"Oh. Oh I thought there was a thief." My mom said while she turned on the lights and stared at the two teens with wide, smug eyes.

"Did I just interrupt something?" She questioned the both of us, keeping herself from smiling and ruining her concerned parent façade.

"Nope!"

"Yes!" Nick and I yelled at the same time and I glared at him. He, in return, just smiled innocently at me.

"I think I have to go Emma, Sky. It's so late and I just dropped by to get this lasagna you cooked. Thanks and good night!" He finished and headed for the back door. A few minutes passed before my mom's voice broke the silence. Here it goes.

"So am I missing something that's going on between the two of you?" I remembered the heated scene and heat crept up to my cheeks.

"No mom, you missed nothing." I told her because it was true anyway.

I've lived here literally since forever and in that forever, all Nick did was to pick on me. Making it hard for people, even for me, to believe that we were best friends, or even remotely civil to each other.

Once during 5th grade, he even stole my journal and threatened to tell the whole school the contents if I didn't give him half of my lunch everyday until the school year ended, but that ended up with him getting beaten up by me and me being grounded for a month. Of course, it didn't help Nick's ego that a tiny girl got the upper hand.

"You just won because I'm not supposed to hit girls." Was his haughty response at my mocking smirks. He was teased for a short time for it but looking back, I'm kind of impressed that a 5th grader had those ideals.

It was just when he turned sixteen that the teasing toned down. Of course he still tried to piss me off, but it was almost in a friendly way and I managed to not break any of his bones. I rather enjoyed his company now. I smiled at the realization and started to walk towards the stairs before Mom sees my face and bombard me with awkward questions.

But of course, she's my Mom and she won't let me off the hook easily.

"Okay then, sleep because you have school tomorrow. Also, if you finally realize that you love each other and have sex, use protection!" She yelled and I swear the whole neighborhood heard what she said.

"Ugh, I hate my life." I muttered to myself and chuckled when I remembered teenagers on shows and movies saying the exact same sentence.

I turned the knob and went inside my room. Making my way to the bed, I snatched the pillow that I threw before I went downstairs. Damn, the image of Nick and I's kiss came back to me again and I groaned, fell head first to my bed.

Then there was a sharp knock from my balcony door and my head immediately snapped to it's direction. I narrowed my eyes at the glass door, the darkness making it hard to find out who was outside. I walked towards it.

"Sky, open this godforsaken-" I heard a familiar voice and I grabbed the knob, unlocked and flung the door open.

"What are you still doing here Nick? I have to sl–" He cut me off when he swiftly put his lips on mine. Okay, this seriously has to stop.

"What the hell was that?" I questioned him when he finally pulled away, my eyes still wide open.

"Oh I don't know. Maybe a kiss?" He sarcastically answered my question and I can picture him rolling his eyes at me.

"Don't oh I don't know me McCane, we are best friends and as far as I can remember, the definition of best friends do not include kissing each other at two in the morning in their balcony!" I almost yelled at him while pacing around but he just kept calm and mimicked my speech.

"Jeez, shut up and breathe. I'll pick you up tomorrow okay? Wake up early or I'll leave you." He threatened and started to climb down my room.

"I hate you!" I whisper-yelled at him. How dare he kiss me and shrug it off. That cocky jerk had my first kiss. Damn him to hell and back.

"Well, I love you darlin' but I have to sleep so g'night." He exclaimed in a fake cowboy accent and headed to the direction of his house. Did I forget to mention that he lives a house down from mine? Lucky me–not.

I huffed and went back to my bed. I fixed the mattress and hopped on, the image of the scene in the kitchen flashed in my mind again and I shuddered. I closed my eyes and drifted off with the image making me sleep. Tomorrow is something to look forward to, I thought to myself.