waking

I was awake. My eyes weren't open. My head was aching along with other parts of my body. Everything felt sort of numbed. My mind felt numbed. It was slow to wake up. Around me, it was very silent. No sounds were heard. I couldn't even hear myself breath. I didn't think much of it.

When I felt ready enough, I opened my eyes. I was hit was a blinding white light. Am I dead? Is heaven supposed to be this painful? My eyes screwed shut once more. I felt hands very softly shaking me. Reluctantly, I opened my eyes again and painfully let them adjust. I was greeted with the familiar face of my boyfriend. I smiled, wincing slightly at the discomfort it brought. It felt like every movement made my muscles burn and my bones ache. Tears were dripping down his cheeks. His mouth was moving, but I was hearing next to nothing coming out. It was like he was trying to talk to me from miles and miles away. I frowned, my eyebrows furrowing. I immediately regretted it. Pain radiated through my head. What happened to me? Was this some cruel nightmare? I pushed through the pain and opened my mouth to speak. I wasn't able to muster any words out. My mouth and throat felt drier than a desert.

It looked like he mouthed the word 'water' and I nodded ever so slightly. He reached over to what I assumed was a table and brought the glass to my lips, tipping it forward slowly. I drank it gratefully, relishing the feeling of the drink cooling my throat.

When my voice came out it felt raspy and gross. I couldn't help it.

"Can't hear," I whispered. I really couldn't and I felt like I was going to cry. Everything hurt and I was feeling miserable. I needed him to hold me, but I knew that would be too painful. He said something I couldn't make out and got up. I watched him as he left the small, white room. I closed my eyes. The light hurt them too much.

I drifted out of consciousness once more.

I woke up again when I felt someone changing bandages or something on my forehead. I didn't open my eyes, it was just a guess. Just as soon as I woke up, I was back to sleep. It was like that most of the day. At least I think it was a day. I never really knew how much time passed when I was asleep. I just knew when I was awake, it hurt. And when I slept, I didn't feel anything. So I chose to sleep.

I knew doctors were constantly running in and out of my room. Often doing tests as well. Vikk was here for the majority of the times I woke up.

Slowly, the pain was decreasing and I was able to be awake for longer periods of time without falling back into a dreamless slumber.

I asked a lot of questions at first. They we left unanswered.

Nurses gave me looks of sympathy. I never knew why.

And maybe, it should have stayed that way.