A Parent's Undying Love

When I wake up the next morning, I find myself lying next to Davina. After Elijah and I had figured out Davina's sketches, I returned to her room to make sure she was ok. I fell asleep in the bed with her, but I doubt she minded. I quietly slip out of her bed and walk down the hall into my room. I change into a fresh pair of jeans and a dark colored floral top. I quickly put on a pair of black heels and then I walk down into the kitchen. No one is here there, which I am thankful for, as I pour myself a glass of my infamous breakfast drink- orange juice and blood. The extra weight from the baby is really starting to take its toll on my back and feet. Soon, I won't be able to wear heels like I usually do. I walk back up the stairs and into the living room to find Elijah staring at the Céleste sketch.

"Good morning," I greet him, taking a seat on the left side of him.

"Good morning," he says, eyeing my glass, "should I ask what it is you're drinking or do I not want to know?"

I laugh, "it's orange juice and blood. That way I can get blood into my system along with human food." Elijah smiles and shakes his head as I take another sip of the substance. It doesn't taste as bad as you think it would. It tastes like orange juice and blood.

"The Italians call them strega," Elijah says, staring at the sketch, "the Yoruba of West Africa call them aje, meaning mother. Where my mother was from, they called them hexa, and here we call them witch. Over the centuries, vampires have fought them and fought beside them, bedded them and burned them. Whether adversary or ally, they have been a force to be reckoned with. Their ancestral magic anchors this city. There's never been one all-powerful witch until Davina."

"Who is now tucked in safe and sound down the hall under my protection," Klaus says, walking in. When he sees me, he offers me a small smile, but I look away, unable to glance at his face. "Your Céleste was quite beautiful and a portent of evil according to our volatile artist in residence," Klaus says, observing the sketch.

"Yes, perhaps Davina's mistaken what she calls evil for power," Elijah says, "Céleste was certainly very powerful in her day, but she's been dead for 200 years. I don't understand why all these sketches now."

"Why do witches do anything," Klaus asks us.

"Because witches are witches," I answer him, "you seem to forget that I inherited your mother's powers, making me a third witch. Your mother was just as powerful as Davina is which makes me just as powerful."

"But your magic isn't tied to the ancestral magic here," Elijah tells me, "as powerful as you are, it doesn't help this situation." We hear something break and immediately I know it's Davina with Marcel.

"Well, that's going well," Klaus says to himself.

"If you were trying to win the girl's trust, perhaps poisoning her one true love was not the most splendid idea," Elijah tells him.

"Oh, are there any more inopportune deaths you'd like to wave in my face," Klaus asks his brother.

"Give me a month," Elijah answers, "I'll get you a list." We hear another crash and Klaus sighs.

"Young, old, dead, or alive, witches are a pain in the ass," he says, getting up. I decide to follow him, knowing that he's going to Davina's room. He seems to notice that I'm following him because he slows down to walk beside me. "You weren't in our room last night," he says quietly.

I scuff, "you can't honestly think that I'm going to sleep with you after you tried to kill Davina? Oh, wait a second, you did kill Davina."

"I did what I had to do," Klaus tells me.

"You always say that, but in all honesty, that's a lie," I snap at him. Thankfully, we reach Davina's room and he walks in first.

"What's with all the racket," Klaus demands. When I walk in, I see a sight I did not expect to see. Davina is throwing up dirt onto her bed. Marcel's at her side, rubbing her back. "Bloody hell," Klaus whispers. Through her vomiting, I can hear Davina whimpering and when her pleading eyes meet mine, I jump next to her.