Everlasting Complications

"You're bluffing," Klaus says.

"Do you really want to call it," I ask him. My words have rattled Klaus; he's unsteady on his feet, his eyes looking everywhere but at me. Finally, he meets my eyes.

"Do it," he says. I hold his gaze, showing no emotion on my face, but my mind is thinking about 100 different things. It's now or never, if I do this, I'm free. If I don't, then I get stuck here. I think back to own my parents. My mother died not knowing who I was or what I was. My siblings died knowing I was better than them. My father died thinking I was an ordinary person. I wonder what it would've been like if my father had never left or if my siblings and I weren't werewolves. I wonder what it would've been like. It's that sentence that makes my decision for me. I raise my hand and strike. The knife embeds itself where I wanted it to. I let go of the silver, the sting disappearing. Klaus's face is a mixture of emotions. I look down at the knife; only the handle sticks out of the wall, next to my hip. A part of me smiles and when I look up at Klaus, a part of me dies. 

Next thing I know, Klaus's hand is clasped around my throat squeezing. My lungs run out of air faster than I expected and now I'm struggling to breathe. My hands fly up to Klaus's, trying to pry his hands off my throat, but to no prevail. I open my eyes and see Klaus's furious face. When I made my decision, I knew there were two possible outcomes. Either Klaus would be happy or he'd try to kill me. I should've known he'd go with the second option. My lungs burn and then I close my eyes. Just as the last of the oxygen leaves my body, Klaus's hand disappears from my throat. I take a deep breath before opening my eyes. I see Klaus on the ground, Marcel standing over him. I cough and try to control my breathing.

Marcel looks back at me, "you all right?"

I nod, not meeting Klaus's eyes, "I'm fine." Marcel turns back to Klaus and I vamp my way out of there before I have to deal with Klaus. I keep going until I'm all the way back at the plantation house. When I get there, all the lights are off, no one's home, not even Rebekah. I walk in the front door and find that most of the damage in the house has been repaired. Flipping the lights on, I walk up the stairs and into my room. I find the bag full of witch's herbs that Sabine gave me. I pull out two vials- crushed aconite flower and verbena. In other words, wolfsbane and vervain. I set them down on my nightstand and contemplate them. I have no intention to ingest either one; I just want to appreciate them. Either one could end a life. In this world, there will always be something that can kill something else. Even the Originals have something they're afraid of, the white oak stake. Then there's me. The white oak stake would put me to sleep for a few decades, but I'd wake up. You could try ripping my heart out, but I'd grow another one. Putting a stake through my heart is out of the question. Blood loss, that's the one thing my body can't repair quick enough. Funny that it's a human-like way to die. I leave them on my nightstand as I change out my clothes and into sleep shorts and a tank top. I turn the lights off and slip under the covers of my bed. I stare at the vials. I wish Elijah hadn't abandoned me with Klaus. I miss him more than I missed him over the four months I was held captive. He left me alone again. He left me alone on my birthday. Well, it's not like today was a day I was going to remember. Too much has happened on a day that should've been peaceful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No matter how hard I tried to sleep, I couldn't. The plantation house must've been in the 80's all night along with 95% humidity. I close my eyes in an attempt to try to sleep, but it's hopeless. Someone walks into my room and I keep my eyes close, hoping they'll leave. I'm in no mood to talk to Klaus or Rebekah. The person walks over to my nightstand and picks up the two vials. Now, I know who it is.

"I didn't use either one of them," I say, opening my eyes. I see Klaus, holding a vial in each hand, inspecting them. He puts them back down on my nightstand and sighs.