R

" What is it you want with me?!" I yell at the man urgently shoving a sack over my head.

" I haven't done anything wrong. Let me go!" I say squirming in protest. The man stays silent as he tries to tie my hands behind my back. I try to keep them away from him, but its hard when you can't see and when your opponent is stronger than you think. He grabs my wrists in an iron grip and ties them painfully behind my back.

" Let me go!" I scream, flailing my body around, trying to kick my way out. The man lifts me off of the floor and tosses me over his shoulder.  My heart jumps to my throat and my head becomes dizzy. Not again, I can't let them take me again. I knee him sharply in the small of his back, and he flinches with a groan. I take the opportunity to shimmy out of his grasp. I hit the floor hard, a sharp pain shooting up my elbow. I try to scramble up, but I only get a few steps before I slip and fall back on my face. I can hear the man chuckling behind me.

" You won't get away," he says in a low, raspy voice. I can hear his shoes scrunching on the gravel as he walks towards me. I wait a few seconds for him to get closer. And when I think he's close enough I shoot my foot up and kick him hard in the groin. He groans and I can hear him bend over in pain. I slide my leg under him and crochet him onto the floor. He falls with a yelp of surprise and a loud thump. I scramble to a standing position and without thinking kick the man hard in the nose before he can get up. He lays dazed, blood trickling down his chin.I wiggle the sack off of my head and take the knife sticking out from his belt. He tries to grab my arm but I sidestep away, glad that all my father's training has come in handy... yet again.  I quickly slice off my makeshift handcuffs. Without looking back I sprint in the other direction.

The sun is slowly dipping behind the city buildings, making everything glow with yellow fire. I slow my run to a walk and stroll through the streets, hiding in the crowd. I don't pay attention to the people passing by, or to where I'm going. I'm drowned in my thoughts.

How did he find me? I thought we had stayed hidden well enough. But once a little break in the plan appears, everything comes crumbling down doesn't it? I nervously twirl the turquoise pin through my fingers. I look at it with a sort of affectionate dislike. The reason why all this happened lays on this stupid little triangular object. Someone bumps into me making me drop the pin and stopping my reverie short. I bend down to retrieve it but the boy who bumped into me is already at it.

" Pretty pin," he says, brushing back a strand of his brown hair from his eyes and handing it back to me.

" Thanks," I say, quickly stuffing the pin back into my pocket. I look up and see his eyes looking at me. His eyes. They're unnaturally beautiful. They look like they have all the colors of the world inside of them, but also as if there are none at all. They're alluring... and familiar. I gasp. He's one of them. He smiles. And he's here for me too.
• • •

" Hello. Um my name is Milo and I'm here to--"
" Next!" bellows the plump man, his double chin bobbing at his words. He is sitting behind an ornate wooden desk a name tag  placed upon it indicating that his name is "Mr. Hobbes".
"What? I haven't talked long enough for you to reject me." Milo interjects, "What if I'm the perfect candidate? You can't just let the exact person you are looking for slip through your fingers." Milo tries to sound convincing, but Hobbes keeps a blank expression, not saying a word. Milo take his silence as a queue to continue his speech.
    " Okay so, as I said my name is Milo, and I am trained in hand to hand combat. I have a lot of experience in--"
" Have you ever killed one?" interrupts Hobbes.
" Have I ... Have I ever killed a man, well," Milo says trying to avoid part of the question.
" No. Have you ever killed one of them? That's why you're here isn't it, to go out and hunt them?"
" Actually,"
Hobbes raises his eyebrows, " So you haven't," his expression darkens, " How do you expect me to hire you for a job if I'm not even sure you're capable of doing it?" An angry silence settles between them. " Next!" he barks.
" No."
" What do you mean no?"
" I'm not leaving without this job," Milo says between clenched teeth. " I need this job."

Hobbes lets out a low, heavy laugh,

" You're not the one who chooses, son. I am. And I say no."
Milo stays rooted in place and looks straight into his eyes. He's moving to desperate conditions. Milo brushes his hair out of his face and plunges himself into the light blue pool of Hobbes's gaze and grabs hold. Hobbes's expression squints in concentration, but Milo slides easily through, like dipping his hand in a warm pool. Humans have such weak defenses. Milo changes Hobbes's mind, a small grin forms on his lips.
" Hired," Hobbes says simply. Milo lets go. Hobbes's eyes clear.
Milo is about to turn and leave when the door crashes open. He instinctively sidestep behind it. A man in a clean cut black suit strides in. A mixed look of surprise and horror flashes across Milo's new boss' face. It disappears almost instantly, replaced with a look of complete serenity.
" Good morning Mr. Hobbes," the man in the suit says politely. " I believe you know why I'm here."
" As a matter of fact I do not." replies Hobbes. From the outside his poker face looks immaculate, but Milo can see a subtle quiver to his lip. He's lying. The intruder's mouth twitches upward in a crafty grin.
" You know exactly what I'm talking about. Hand it over," he says jabbing his hand out for Hobbes to place whatever he is looking for inside. When Hobbes just stares, a fake look of confusion on his face the man's temper breaks and his face contortions into an angry snarl. Hobbes is taunting him, Milo can see the hidden smile in his eyes. The man pulls out a gun from his waistband and points it at Hobbes. His shirt lifts slightly and Milo notices a blue glint on his waistband. A turquoise pin is attached to his belt.  My first test, Milo thinks. He stands watching, waiting for the scene to play out. The man strides to Hobbes and points the gun right to his temple.
" You better give it now or I'll shoot," the man warns.
" Why, if you shoot me I won't be able to give it to you will I?" Hobbes answers audaciously. He seems confident but I know he's only trying to keep the conversation going. The man digs harder into Hobbes' skull and chuckles,
" I'll find a way," he assures. Hobbes gives Milo a quick glance. In that glance Milo knows, it's time to intervene. In the blink of an eye he's silently at the man's side. Milo take his gun from behind and traps him in an arm lock. He doesn't make a sound. Milo chuckles softly. They're all the same, proud, loyal and oh so very impulsive. The man tries to jerk away but Milo holds on unwavering, with incredible strength. He turns his head and looks into my eyes. He stops writhing. He recognizes Milo. And under his expressionless mask he knows he doesn't stand a chance.

    The sun beats down on Milo but he doesn't feel it. He walks down a busy street searching, with his eyes, for the one. I should have found my prey by now. It's supposed to be here right now, right-- There! He sees it. It's a girl, her aura is shimmering strongly around her. She seems preoccupied. Milo sashays to the side, and slides himself right in her path. She bumps into him and something  in her hand goes flying to the ground. Milo bends down to pick up the object. It's her turquoise triangular pin. She seems to want it back, so he casually hands it back to her, not wanting to seem suspicious.
    He looks down into her hazel eyes and she stares back, almost mesmerized. All of a sudden her expression changes. The change is almost imperceptible but it's there. She knows. Milo smiles and whispers,
" Run."