Welcome to Dragon Training

It was almost noon by the time Hiccup and Lyrhia returned home. Lyrhia had returned to her house, and was currently swapping stories with Kara about what had happened at the meeting and in the woods. Meanwhile Hiccup crept into his house and tried to slip up the stairs unnoticed, but stopped hearing his father's "Hiccup."

"Dad, uh..." Hiccup sighed. "I have to talk to you, Dad."

"I need to speak with you too, son," Stoick said, walking over to the stairs where Hiccup was perched.

Both took a deep breath before speaking at the same time:

"I've decided I don't want to fight dragons."

"I think it's time you learned to fight dragons."

"What?" each asked the other simultaneously.

"Uh, you go first," Stoick said.

"No, no you go first," Hiccup responded, slowly descending the stairs.

"Alright..." Stoick clasped his hands together. "You get your wish. Dragon training. You start in the morning."

"Oh man I should've gone first!" Hiccup said. "You know, we have a surplus of dragon-fighting Vikings, but do we have enough bread-making Vikings, or small home-repair Vikings--"

"You'll need this." Stoick dropped an axe into his son's arms, completely ignoring him.

Hiccup caught it, nearly falling over because of the weight. "I don't want to fight dragons," he said again.

Stoick chuckled, turning away. "Oh come on, yes you do."

"Rephrase. Dad, I can't kill dragons!"

"But you will kill dragons." Stoick looked down at his son.

"No I'm really very extra sure that I won't." Hiccup took a step closer, careful not to drop the axe in his arms.

"It's time, Hiccup," Stoick insisted.

"Can you not hear me?"

"This is serious, son. When you carry this axe," Stoick lifted the axe, then set it back in his son's arms, "you carry all of us with you. Which means, you walk like us, you talk like us, you think like us. No more of..." He gestured at Hiccup. "This."

"You just pointed to all of me," Hiccup snarked, dropping his arms so the axe hung at his knees.

"Deal?"

"This conversation is feeling very one-sided."

"Deal?" Stoick asked more forcefully.

Hiccup sighed. "Deal."

Stoick slung his pack over his shoulder. "Good. Train hard. I'll be back. Probably." He grabbed his helmet as he walked out of the house.

"And I'll be here," Hiccup said. "Maybe."

The door closed, and Hiccup was left alone in the house.

**********

"Welcome to dragon training!" Gobber announced as he opened the gate to the arena.

"No turning back," Astrid said softly, walking into the arena. The other teens--Fishlegs, Snotlout and the twins--each followed her, each with a weapon in their hand. Lyrhia and Kara followed, staying closer to Gobber. They weren't put in training, as Kara already knew how to fight and Lyrhia wanted to take over Gobber's smithy when she got older. They were just there so Gobber could keep an eye on them.

"I hope I get some serious burns," said Tuffnut.

"I'm hoping for some mauling," Ruffnut added. "Like, on my shoulder, lower back."