The Downed Dragon

Hiccup watched as the dragons all flew off with their catches. He slowly turned towards his father, pointing over his shoulder at the departing dragons as if saying okay despite that... "Okay but I hit a Night Fury."

Stoick didn't answer; he simply grabbed the back of Hiccup's vest and dragged him along.

"It's not like the last few times, Dad!" Hiccup insisted. "I mean I really actually hit it! You guys were busy and I had a very clear shot. It went down just off Raven Point. Let's get a search party out there before it--"

"STOP!" Stoick yelled, releasing Hiccup and stopping in his tracks. Hiccup shut up immediately, looking up at his father with wide green eyes and sucked-in lips. Kara and Lyrhia watched from Gobber's sides; Kara with her arms crossed and looking 100% done with the whole thing, Lyrhia with her hands pressed together and resting against her mouth, as if she was simultaneously praying and keeping herself from saying anything.

"Just... stop," Stoick continued. "Every time you step outside, disaster falls! Can you not see that I have bigger problems? Winter is almost here and I have an entire village to feed!"

"Well between you and me the village could do with a little less feeding, don't you think?" Hiccup snarked.

"This isn't a joke, Hiccup!" Stoick sighed. "Why can't you follow the simplest orders?"

"I-I can't stop myself!" Hiccup said. "I see a dragon and I have to just... kill it, you know? It's who I am, Dad."

"Oh you are many things, Hiccup. But a dragon killer is not one of them. Get back to the house." Stoick looked up at Gobber. "Make sure he gets there. I have his mess to clean up." Stoick walked away as Gobber and his girls walked forward, the blacksmith slapping the back of Hiccup's head lightly to get him moving. Lyrhia gently squeezed Hiccup's hand, giving him what she hoped was a reassuring smile. Kara, never really one for physical contact, just walked alongside him, showing her support just by being there as they walked past the other teens.

"Quite the performance," Tuffnut said.

"I've never seen anyone mess up that badly," Snotlout teased. "That helped!"

"Thank you," Hiccup replied, sarcasm lacing his tone like venom on a snake's tongue, "thank you, I was trying, so..." He kept walking, Lyrhia and Gobber following him, while Kara hung back a bit to punch Snotlout in the gut and shove his face, pushing him back into the boulder Astrid was sitting on as she sharpened her axe.

"I really did hit one," Hiccup said as they ascended the stairs to his house, Kara now trailing behind Gobber.

"Sure you did," Gobber said.

"He never listens."

"Runs in the family."

"And when he does it's always with this... disappointed scowl, like someone skimped on the meat in his sandwich." He stopped at the front door and imitated his father's voice and accent. "Excuse me barmaid! I'm afraid you brought me the wrong offspring! I ordered and extra-large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side! This here, this is a talking fishbone!"

Lyrhia giggled softly, her hand over her mouth to keep from making too much noise. Kara simply rolled her eyes; she hated how some things were on Berk, but it was infinitely better than how she'd been treated on Outcast Island.

"Now, you're thinking about this all wrong," Gobber said. "It's not so much what you look like, it's what's inside that he can't stand."

Hiccup just looked at him like he was crazy. "Thank you for summing that up." He turned to go inside but stopped when Gobber spoke again.