27 - I hate backseat drivers!

Start from the beginning

Alex was puzzled and did not try to hide it.  “This is all so confusing.”

Cassy giggled at his frustrated expression.  “It is actually very simple when you sit and think about it.  We are a pack society; we relate to everything in that way.  However things work out with this meeting at the end of this month, your pack will share in your standing.  And any other alpha that is in some way connected to you will share in that as well; as well as their pack.  It’s a case of being guilty by association.  Every small part of our society is part of a larger piece and so on and so on.”

“So, you are actually telling me that if I can find some kind of connection, I can be associated with all the existing packs?”  He asked her doubtfully.

“If you can find the connection; yes.  We are all connected to each other, one way or another.  That is where our strength lies.  None of us are ever truly alone.”

She watched as Alex processed her words.  “I know that it does not entirely correspond with your experience here after the rogue attack, and it was inexcusable for your father and the rest of the pack to leave you all alone like that.  If any of the other packs had known about it, I am sure they would have stepped in.”

Sighing Alex dragged her closer and held her tight against his chest.  He and his brothers had survived on their own, and by the time the outside world had realized their situation, they no longer needed help from anybody else.  “Harris offered to help just after I had shifted for the first time, but by then, we had sorted everything out and things were OK.  My brothers and I had started studying on-line, we had access to any supplies we needed with the help of Sam.  And as soon as Brian changed, we started training and that’s all really.”

The arrival of his brothers and the two girls prevented them from continuing their discussion and he gave her a long sweet kiss before releasing his hold on her.  [I will contact Harris tonight and ask him if he would mind doing the submission ceremony for me.]

“Have fun!”  Cassy called when they split into two teams and headed out in opposite directions.  When she entered the house, she could hear a keyboard being attacked furiously and she debated speaking to him, but then she decided that right now, he would not appreciate a kind talk.  Perhaps later when he had some time to cool down a bit, he might actually hear what she had to say.  She stopped in the kitchen and poured him some fruit juice and put some biscuits on a plate and slipped it onto the desk Ethan was working at.

“Have you considered going to regular school for the rest of the year?”  Cassy asked as she dragged one of the other chairs closer.

When Ethan attempted a smile Cassy burst out laughing at the comical look on his face. 

“I thought about it yesterday, and Lucy thinks it would be great, but I have turned the idea around in my head so many different ways; and in the end, I still think it would be best to just finish and get it over with.  There is so much I must still learn from Alex.”

“Ethan,” she patted his knee.  “You have been watching and learning all the time, I’ve seen the way you look at what they do and how they do it.  You will be able to pick it up so easy.  And you have so much time to do it in now, don’t rush your decision.”

“Humph.”  He snorted.  “Looking and doing are not the same.  It has been almost two years since Derrick and Dennis changed for the first time.  This has been the longest two years of my life!  If I were older or had shifted earlier, I would have been able to help Alex and the others.  You have got no idea how it feels standing on the outside looking in all the time Cassy.  And if that had not been bad enough; Alex always had to leave two of the others behind to look after me like I was a baby.  He didn’t have to leave them here; I can take care of myself now and have been able to do that for quite a while now.  None of them wanted to stay behind in any case!”