8- The long U-haul

The whole family was up and fed before daybreak and as Cassy was stacking the dishwasher, Wesley and Connie stepped into the kitchen.  Connie sporting a fresh bite mark on her left shoulder and his arm circling her waist, keeping her as close as possible.

Cassy snapped her finger, glancing at the two of them slyly, “I have a gift for the two of you.”  She handed them a box, covered in bright red tinsel paper.

When the box was unwrapped a box of condoms was revealed and Connie blushed nearly as red as the paper.  Wesley only laughed, and if possible dragged her even closer to plant a kiss on her head.

“Now Wes, you have to please make sure that you do not get her pregnant before the two of you finish school.  You hear me?”

He rolled his eyes at Cassy.  “I got that speech from my dad last night and then not half an hour later, from her dad as well.  Don’t worry.  I am much too young to be a father right now, and considering all the gross things I had to do while helping with the little ones, I can definitely wait for about five years before I get stuck with that for good.”

Connie nodded her head in agreement.  “The kids are great, and I look forward to having babies, but not right away.”

Laughing and joking they all stepped outside and moved towards the parked truck.  All the goodbyes had been said last night upon Cassy’s insistence.  This morning they were only allowed to wish them a safe journey, so the goodbye hugs and wishes were kept short and sweet, and Cassy climbed into the passenger side while speaking to her dad. 

“I will phone you as soon as we arrive, and when everything is settled, you guys are going to have to come and visit.”

Alex gunned the engine and everybody took a step back, waving as they drove out into the slightly misty morning. 

Cassy knew without looking that he was glancing at her regularly, but while they were traveling through the woods to reach the main road, she kept her eyes on the blurry trees passing by.  She felt rather upset with herself.  Last night, after crying for nearly two solid hours, she had decided that her new life was going to be an adventure and that she would not cry about leaving again.  It was not necessary to cry, after all, she would be seeing them again, perhaps in about three months or so?

So there was no reason for her to carry on like this now, so just ‘STOP IT’, she told herself; and to her dismay, found herself crying properly.

Alex let her get it out, and when she seemed to be a bit calmer, he reached out and patted her knee clumsily.  “They can come and visit as soon as you want, and anytime you want to come here, we can.”

Cassy sniffed unladylike, wiping her eyes with the back of her hands; she smiled at him weakly, warmed that he had said we; and not you.  “Thanks, I do not normally behave like this.”

“It is quite all right.  Leaving everything you know behind to set up house with a complete stranger is not something that happens every other day.”

Sighing she turned towards him, shifting on the seat so that she sat with one leg folded under her.  “Thank you for understanding.  I know this is not exactly what you were expecting when you agreed with the other alphas to visit the more successful packs.”

Alex frowned, “That is an understatement if ever I heard one.  You could have knocked me over with a feather when I realized what had happened.”

Cassy punched him lightly in his side.  “Oh come on!  Don’t underestimate yourself.  I would most likely have needed the whole darn chicken to knock you over.  You are a werewolf after all.”