27 - I hate backseat drivers!

Ten people waved until the cars disappeared down the dirt road and when the dust settled, they all turned towards the pack house.

“OK guys, we have only been running a tight perimeter this past week, so now we have to run the full perimeter today.  I want us to split into two teams starting north and south moving clockwise at the edge.  As soon as you have overlapped the other team’s trail by a mile, you can head back home.  There will be four to a team so you can spread out to about ten to fifteen meters.  Tomorrow we will run the perimeter just inside this one, coming closer every day.  That way the girls can get to know the area as well.  We leave in about twenty minutes.”

Alex watched as everybody rushed off to do something but caught Cassy’s hand before she moved out of reach.  He didn’t say anything so Cassy followed his gaze, watching as Ethan slowly made his way back home.

Ethan had his hands in his pockets and felt more than just a little bit left out.  Sometimes he wished he would just shift and get it over with.  This waiting around is seriously killing him at the moment.  And after meeting Lucy … He sighed, Lucy was probably the most amazing person he had ever met; and he could not wait to find out if she was his.  He forcibly pushed away any doubt that it may be likely that she wasn’t, it was simply unbearable to entertain that possibility, it twisted and wrenched at his gut just thinking about it.  Damn, I wish I would just shift already!  A shudder shook his frame and he cursed under his breath.  He knew the signs as well as and wished things could speed up, even just a little.  He was so tired of being the odd one out.

Both Cassy and Alex noticed the shudder.  [I will keep my eye on him, and if I suspect it will happen, I will let you know.]  She squeezed his hand reassuringly.

He planted a kiss on her forehead.  [How do I go about organizing this subjection ceremony?]

Cassy could see from his expression that he did not like it very much, but he was resolved to do it.  They both knew that wanting and liking to do everything they have to do was not a luxury they had.  They lived in the real world, and sometimes hard choices and decisions had to be made.  And this was one of them.  [You can get someone from the council to do it for you, your mark gives you that privilege, or you can get a friend to do the honors for you.]

“A friend?”  He asked surprised.  “Cassy, I have been slightly busy to make any friends the last couple of years.”  Frowning he continued before she could say anything.  “But I would prefer not to have the council involved at this point in time.”

“Well.” The way she said it, it sounded like two syllables.  “There must be one of the packs close by that you know better than the rest, would you consider that alpha to be a friend?”

Alex considered her words.  “Harris from the Blue Rain pack would most likely be the best candidate.  I think that from all the alphas in this area, we get along the best.  He was also one of the first to ask for our help in securing his pack grounds; to me, that makes him a good leader.  He knew what he had to do, and he was not afraid or ashamed to ask for help.  And he and his mate have always been very kind to us.  Vera always made sure that I did not leave empty handed.  I think she might actually enjoy baking as more than you do.”

“That’s great.  Would he consider you to be a friend as well?”  When Alex nodded she continued.  “Can you recall what his mark looked like?”

After thinking about it for a short while he answered with a thoughtful expression.  “Not as well marked as what my brothers are.  Would that be a problem?”

“Not if he accepts your offer of friendship.  If he is not as highly marked as you are, aligning him and his pack with you and your pack will improve his … standing.  As a matter of fact, anybody that has any kind of association with you; will have their standing, reputation or whatever you want to call it, improved because of you and the mark you wear.”