Chapter 11 - Sullivan

I get home, and call out for Arnie. I bump into Ellen. "Hey have you seen Arnie?" I ask her. "No I think he went to work with Gilbert." She says, not looking up from her intense nail painting session. "Okay thanks." I say quickly, grabbing my bag and running back out the door.

I get to Lamson's grocery, and decide to take the back way. Mr. Lamson always lets me, we know each other quite well now.
"Gilbert?" I call out as I walk up the side. "Gil- WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" I yell out as I turn the corner and see Jimmy kicking a helpless Arnie on the floor. Jimmy doesn't acknowledge me. Rage builds up inside me.
I power my legs and run forward, throwing myself into Jimmy, colliding with his ribs and taking him to the ground.
I stand up, my arm hurting a bit from the fall, but at least he's off Arnie now - rolling on the ground clutching his side.
"Arnie!" I turn around and kneel beside him. "Janie!" He says as soon as he sees me, and he wraps his arms around me, burying his head into my chest. I pull back, to take a look at him. "Oh honey!" I say, ripping a few tissues out my back pocket and sitting him up. "It hurts Janie." He says, in a whimper. "I know." I say, wiping the blood from under his nose and from the cut on his forehead. "Come here." I say, pulling him closer to me after I've cleaned him up. "Thank you Janie." He says, wrapping his arms around my waist, as we both kneel on the grass. "I'm glad you're okay." I say, stroking the back of his head. "I love you." He says, pulling away and planting a kiss on my lips. "I love you too." I say, with a smile. He's so sweet. I love him so much. It kills me to see anything bad happen to him, and I wish it was me instead.
He stands up, and hold out a hand to help me up. "Thanks." I say, taking it and standing up.
"You two?" Jimmy snorts, getting up as well. "Really Janie? Him?" Jimmy says, cracking up. "Yep. And I'm proud of it too. Arnie is an amazing guy." I say, grabbing onto Arnie's hand. Jimmy bends over in hysterics. "You...are such...a loser!" He says in between laughs. "Well, at least I'm smart enough to know what's worth winning." I shake my head, turning around as Arnie and I walk off. "Goodbye, prick!" Arnie calls out. I high five him. "That was a good one." I say in admiration. He grins. "I know!" He says, flicking his nose and I laugh.

The next day at College, I see Jimmy looking awfully down. I wonder if it's something I did or said... But then I realise I don't actually care.
I'm not about to go and console the guy who beat up my boyfriend.
"Janie?" The professor calls my name. "Yes ma'am?" I say, turning my head to the front, realising I've been daydreaming this whole time. "You'll be partnered with James Sullivan." She instructs. I look around the room to watch out for someone who is looking expectedly at me. I only spot Jimmy giving me one of his usual death glares. I look around some more.
Wait.
I heard Gilbert call Jimmy 'James' once before. I can't possibly be partnered up with Jimmy! This is going to be the most difficult assignment of the whole semester! "Can I possi-" I start. "No further questions Miss. Parker." The professor says. I sigh and slump back in my seat. "Geezers, good luck with that! I hate Jimmy Sullivan." A girls voice comes from behind me. I turn around and recognise her from Mr. Wilson's class. "Oh, Edlyn right?" I ask her, holding out a hand. She nods. "Janie Parker?" She asks. "Yep. And thanks." I say. "No problem." She says in a thick Irish accent, just like she did in drama class. "Wait, are you actually Irish?" I ask. "Yeah, it's pretty funny actually, I didn't have to do much acting really. Already had the accent." She chuckles. "My last name is Riely by the way. Just in case you wanted to look me up in the dictionary or somethin'." She says with a laugh. I chuckle. "Alright, noted down!" I say. "See you around." I say as the professor finishes up the class. "See ya." Edlyn says, with a wave as she walks out one of the double doors.
"Going somewhere?" I hear Jimmy's voice behind me. I spin around. "What do you want Jimmy?" I sigh, shoving my books into my bag. "Well you're my partner for this project right? So if you want to get good marks, you better do what I say." Jimmy says with an evil grin.
"Ugh!" I groan and dart off in the other direction.

"Whats goin on, losers?" Leon sits down opposite Becky and I. "Jimmy is my partner for the new assignment. It counts for 50% of the grade." I say, resting my head face down on the table. "Ooh, that's rough." Becky says. "Any interesting classes today Beck?" Leon asks Becky. "Nope." She replies. I lift my head back up. "I still don't have a book idea!" I exclaim, remembering I have another assignment. "Oh yeah I totally forgot!" Becky says, stabbing her mac and cheese with a plastic fork. "Well, it's not like you can illustrate until I tell you what to draw!" I say, resting my chin on my palms. "What about your life? It's interesting enough, you could definitely fill up a book with your life story." Leon suggests. I perk up, looking at him. I realise he's also an English major, and he happens to be very good at it. "That's a brilliant idea. But I wouldn't want to bore the readers with my abusive childhood." I roll my eyes, thinking about my awful parents. "Then don't." Leon says. "Write about what you're doing now. Write about your life in Endora, and your hopes and dreams for the future." He shrugs. I tap my fingers on the cafeteria table. "Hmm. That's a very good idea." I say. "But it's your idea." I shake my head. "No, take it. I'm not fussed about it. It's gonna be great." Leon reassures me. "You've gotta be a part of it." I raise my eyebrows towards him. "Deal." He says. "Let's do it!" I throw my hands up excitedly.