Chapter 29 - Book-Ception

(Janie's POV)

1 week later, everything is almost back to normal. Which seems strange given the fact that I actually had a bullet in me, and Arnie ran several miles after having major surgery.
I stayed at the hospital for 3 more days. Turns out the bullet got stuck and was causing internal bleeding, and they had to remove it. Arnie was the one who spotted it in the end, making the doctors realise the bullet was still there.
Pretty scary stuff if I say so myself...

Arnie and I are both 100% okay now. Well, apart from my leg, I've got crutches for a while now.
Arnie's name was all over the news the next day, but he didn't really care, as long as I was okay, he said.
It's incredible to think that we can communicate with no one hearing or seeing or being aware of it at all.

It meant I got a lot of thinking done, and did a lot of crying about recent events in my life. I miss jimmy more than ever, I'll never be able to get over the fact I witnessed his death.
I managed to write a lot too. In fact, I've completely finished my book.
Right now I'm excitedly limping into Mr. Heath's room, holding a notebook so full it won't shut properly anymore.
"Miss Parker! What have you done?" Mr. Heath exclaims, with wide eyes as I stumble into his office. "Oh, I've just fractured my femur, nothing too major." I shrug. The doctors told me the bullet caused minor damage to my femur bone, and said I wouldn't be lying if I just told people I fractured it.
"My goodness, I do hope you feel better soon enough." He says, pulling out a chair so that I can sit down.
"Ah, what's this we have here?" A smile appears on his face. "Well, being off my feet gave me some more time to write, so I managed to finish off my book!" I say, handing it to him.
"Very impressive. Just in time as the second semester of the school year starts, looks like you'll have a lot more free time." Mr. Heath says, nodding his head.
"Thank you Mr. Heath." I smile. "It's only a draft... But you get the idea, and I hope you like it." I say unsurely.
"I will, I like all your writing, you have quite a talent." He nods, inspecting the first page.
"A million trillion billion." He reads out. "Interesting title, tell me a bit more about it.."

"Well.. the story is about an orphaned girl, who faces impossible odds... hence the name 'A Million Trillion Billion'. The book follows her life, focussing on a certain year, conveying an array of events that slowly change her life, for the better. She finally understands the meaning of love, and family, and does everything she can to hold onto it, and treasure it for life." I say, watching as Mr. Heath flicks through the book.
"This all sounds very, very impressive Janie..." Says Mr. Heath. I cringe at the expected criticism...
"But, did you fail to remember it was supposed to be in the category of 'non-fiction'?" Mr. Heath raises his eyebrow at me.
"Oh!" I chuckle lightly. "It's non-fiction." I smile, earning a surprised look from my professor, who goes on to ask more questions.

After having a long winded chat with Mr. Heath about my book, I head back home, just around lunchtime.

Before I can grab my keys out to open the door, Arnie appears from around the back, looking at me with surprise.
He quickly runs back around the house and I hear him say "SHE'S HERE!"
Then he reappears, and studies my puzzled face, before coming behind me and tying a blindfold around my eyes. "What's this?" I ask, feeling a grin stretch across my cheeks.
"You'll see." Arnie says, putting his warm hands around me waist, making sure I don't trip as I hop along under his guidance.

Beneath the soles of my boots, my feet recognise the pattern of the earth, and in my mind I picture where Arnie is taking me.
Around the tree, past the patio and the kitchen window, and round to the very back of the house.
"Okay, stand here." Arnie says, carefully undoing my blindfold.
The sun stings my eyes as I blink back to reveal Gilbert and Becky sitting on the grass smiling at me, holding a large cardboard box with holes in it.
Ellen and Leon are perched on the patio, and Amy is holding a stack of papers.
Gilbert and Becky carefully lay the box down on the grass, "Happy 19th Birthday Janie." Gilbert says, opening the box.
I fall to my knees at the sight of a gorgeous German Shepard puppy, looking up at me with two big beautiful brown eyes.
In shock, I lift him out of he box, and cradle him in my arms, closing my eyes.
"Oh, what a sweetheart, oh, you're beautiful!" I say, rocking him gently.
I look back up at everyone. "Tha...thank you, so much, this is the best gift I could ever have asked for!" I say, slowly standing up, slightly wincing as I put weight on my sore leg.
Everyone gathers for a group hug, with the puppy, and they all start singing happy birthday,
"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Janie, happy birthday to you!"
"Hip hip!" Leon says, "Hooray!" Everyone else cheers. "Hip hip!" "Hooray!" "Hip hip!" "Hooray!"

"I love you guys." I say, clinging onto everyone.
As we break our huddle, Amy makes eye contact with me.
"I hate to spoil such a joyous moment..." She says, flicking through the papers she's holding.
"But... I just wanted to let you know, that...." Amy hesitates. "Ah, here, you can have a look yourself." She hands me the papers, "It was Ellen's idea."
I look down, and read, 'Farewell James Frederick Sullivan' in bold, black letters.
Underneath is a program for a funeral, organised for the 18th of November, at our local church.
A tear escapes my eye. I hold the puppy with one hand, and the papers in the other. "You organised this?" I look at Ellen. Suddenly she looks worried, and opens her mouth to apologise, "Ellen that's beautiful." I cut her off, with a small smile.
She walks over to me and hugs me, whispering "Sorry" in my ear.
"Don't apologise." I whisper back, "Thank you."
"Anything for my sister." Ellen says.

As she steps back and takes the papers, I hold the puppy in my arms, as he licks the salty tears off my cheek.
"Phillipe." I say, "I'll call you Phillipe."

That evening, Becky and Amy lay out all my favourite food on the table, and I walk in with a beaming smile on my face, and Phillipe sticks his tongue out.
Arnie wraps his arms around me from behind, and I nuzzle in to his neck, as he kisses my head.

We all take our seats, and I sit quietly, while the others chat about their days to each other, passing around plates, and I close my eyes and enjoy the sound of company...
Of family.
"Tuck in!" Amy says, placing a large roast chicken and a potato salad on the table, and we all hungrily dive in.

Now you may think that my story ends here... but it's far from the end, it's only just beginning.
Who knows what will happen next?