Practice Match

Ryota's POV

"Everyone dissmissed Regulars stay behind and gather around." Atobe called out, dismissing the club early. We all gathered around as we wait for Atobe to continue. "Today we will be have practice matches with Rikkaidai. This is a good opportunity for us to not only gain experience, but to also evaluate our enemies. For now, run a light jog around the courts as a warm up. Dissmissed, we all set out to do so.

Since I had never been to a match yet since I joined the team, I didn't have any background knowledge on the Rikkaidai tennis team. Sure Ryoma had played in a couple of matches, and his teammates have even informed him of the group, but we never really talked about our schools respected tennis team.

Increasing my pace, I move so I'm side by side with Oishitari, he seemed the most informed about this tennis team. "Oishitari," I wait until he turns to me, "I know I should probably know this, but who's Rikkaidai? I've never heard about them during practice or in the newspapers."

Nodding his head, he waits a bit before continueing. "Rikkaidai is currently the number one tennis team in Japan. Although they are the same age as the us, they have certain characters on their team. There's Yukimura, also known as the "Child of God", he's the captain. He has the ability to take away your senses one by one until you can't even play the match." Shaking his head, Oishitari glances at Atobe who's going over a roster. "Atobe has never beaten him before, but that doesn't mean that they aren't on even ground. Then there's Sanada, the vice captain. He has a set of special moves based on the elements, he's a real Kendo nut. Those two are the most powerful of the group, but the others are good as well."

Nodding my head, I think about what was just said. "If they're so good, why are they willing to play practice matches with us?"

Oishitari chuckles and nods his head to Jiroh up in front. "Jiroh got really interested in Marui's playing style. At the time, all he would do was sleep during practice, so we had to find a way to motivate him to practice. Long story short, Yukimura agreed to hold practice matches with us. Not because it would help us, but because it amused him."

Before I could ask anymore questions, we all found ourself rounding the corner to see a team, presumably the Rikkaidai team, on the tennis courts playing a light rally between them. We jog to Atobe, with a pretty looking male, who seemed to be the captain, standing next to him.

Turning to us, he nods and lets us cool down before announcing the next step. "Alright everyone, I'll be announcing the match ups so listen carefully." Clearing his throat, he calls out the list.

Atobe - Yukimura

Ryota - Sanada

Jiroh - Marui

Oshitari - Kirihara

Ohtori/Kabaji - Nioh/Yagyu

Shishido/Mukahi - Yanagi/Kuwarah

Atobe's POV

After I had dismissed everyone, Yukimura and I make our way to a court. After a few practice hits, we begin to make small talk.

"Segaiku has made some progress, they gained themselves a rookie who, according to Tezuka, will become their Pillar of Support." I informed.

Nodding his head, Rikkaidai's captain smiles. "Is he well versed?"

Shaking his head, I return a powerful shot. "He's just starting to realize his own strength, it won't be long until he unlocks the final gate."

Gesturing to the side, I glance over and see Ryota playing against Sanada. "And what of you're own rookie? How is he?"

Hesitating, I glance away from the black haired boy. "He's good, probably better than his brother, Ryoma."

I watch as he grins at me. "That's good, doesn't hurt that he's a cutie too."

Ryota's POV

Shaking Sanada's hand, we wish each other luck and make our way on our respecctive sides of the court. Tossing the ball into the air, I serve and watch as he returns it. After rallying in complete silence, Sanada breaks the silence.

"Are you related to Ryoma Echizen from Segaiku?" He asks.

Nodding, I give him a small smile as I return a serve. "Yeah, he's one of my older brother's."

Giving me a confused look, I find it funny considering his serious attitude. "Why is that you went to Hyotei instead of Segaiku?"

Shrugging, I jog a few steps to return the ball. "I orginally was searching for a school for it's accademics, not for it's tennis team. I was invited to join Hyotei and after doing a bit research on it I found it to be very prestigious." Smiling a bit, I shake my head. "Doesn't hurt that the tennis team here is nice as well."

The vice captain looks at me and grins slightly. "Are you not confident with your tennis skills?"

Raising an eyebrow, I sprint foreward suddenly and whip my tennis racket against the ball, sending it inbetween his legs at lightning fast speed. Smirking at his bemused expression, I prop my tennis racket against my shoulder.

"Not confident? I'm the strongest of my brother's."

Atobe's POV

Glaring at the smug look on Yukimura's face, I almost miss to hit the tennis ball. "What does that mean?"

He gives me a condescending smile as he returns the ball easily. "I'm just saying that he's quite a catch." Glancing at Ryota, he gives him an appreciative look that sends my blood boiling. "Soft hair, sparkling eyes, smooth skin." Giving me a sly look. "He even has a nice figure, hard to find on a boy in middle school."

Growling, I whip my tennis racket and score a point, but I don't even care. Taking a menacing step foreward, I glare at him. "Stay away from what's mine, Yukimura."

Rolling his eyes, he walks and picks up the tennis ball. Standing at the base line, he serves and we continue with our match. "Oh please, I'm only pulling your arm. I have Sanada after all, you can keep your boyfriend to yourself."

Ryota's POV

Our matches finally ended, the majority, including mine, ending in a tie. It would be hard for us to play against each other during Nationals if we were pitted against one another. Sanada's skills were amazing, he had shown a couple of moves, mainly Swift like the Wind and Fast like Lighting...something like that, the names were way to long to remember. Anyway, I had used my Twist Serve and Hells Path, which enables the reciever motionless, scoring me a couple of points as well.

After Rikkaidai had left, we were all dissmissed to leave. Making our way to the locker room, I was looking foreward to a nice shower when a hand placed on my shoulder stopped me. Looking up, I give Atobe a smile as I see that it's him. "Atobe? What's up?"

Glancing around, he lowers his hand and gives me a smile....the one that he reserves for his fangirls. "I was wondering if you would like to go on a date tomorrow? It's Saturday so we can go to dinner, I'll pick you up."

Confused at the fake smile and tone of his, I just nod. "Alright...You ok, Atobe?"

Nodding his head, he gestures to the locker room. "Yeah, lets just go get changed."

I watch as he leaves me behind in confusion.

'Atobe....'