A story that I have never told

Start from the beginning

Note to self: Lily feels like starting a revolution when upset. "Life after Hogwarts is still far away, Lily," I said, trying to pacify her but only rising her anger more.

"A year and a half. It's a year and a half away and keeping your head in the sand isn't going to save you from Voldemort and his minions."

I saw her point, I really did, but Voldemort as a threat had somehow lost its urgency. I had felt threatened by the wizard all my life, and besides your fate was often out of your own hands anyway. You had to go with the flow and hope that you're well prepared for whatever life tossed your way. It seemed that Lily was only now realizing all of this, and I couldn't help but feel sorry for her. For me. For anyone who was about to experience this powerlessness. "Life isn't something you can control," I said softly. "People often react differently than from what we expected, but, Lily, Slytherins are often ambitious and I'm sure that your Snape is too. Why else would he ruin a friendship with someone as awesome as you?

"He probably hopes that by breaking off your friendship, he'll gain more authority and respect in his own House. Power is everything to those guys, and while I know not all Slytherins are that way, most are. Snape is one of those lads that see power and want to take it, whichever way they can. I'm sorry, Lily, I really am, but this is life. I doubt that he'll be the first friend that the war will take away from you, but you'll get through this. You're Lily Evans, you make James Potter cower, professors are awed by your brain and you are my friend," I told her confidently, although I was a hundred percent sure that I was messing this up and that this speech sucked cotton balls. "You're okay," I told her when she started crying again.

She nodded though. "Thanks," she murmured.

I nodded back at her and leaned in for another hug. "You're okay," I said again.

Lily pulled away all of a sudden and gave me a curious look through her tears. "I heard you did some fighting of your own today. With Potter of all people," she said suddenly.

My, my, I guess good news really did travel fast, I thought sarcastically. "How on Earth did you hear that?" I muttered.

"This is Hogwarts, Nika. Gossip spreads faster than herpes in a whorehouse."

"Charming." I frowned.

She gave me a smile. "So tell me about this fight you had."

I told her, hoping that this would take her mind off her own troubles.

~*~

I was pacing the common room back and forth the next morning. Fellow Gryffindors were getting ready for breakfast and passed me by with only a couple of glares and shoves. Good to know that nobody is allowed to touch their Golden Boy, I thought sarcastically.

Honestly, this was getting tiresome. I glared at a third year - or was it a fourth year? - that pushed her way past me. I was about to call it quits, when I saw my target walking down the stairs.

The four boys halted in their steps when they saw me. No stress, I told myself as I squared my shoulders and purposefully walked towards them.

I didn't even grant Sirius, or any of the other boys, really, a look as I stared at James only. "May I please have a word?" I asked him politely, wringing my hands nervously. So much for having no stress, ha!

James raised an eyebrow and looked at Sirius, who was still staring at me. Not that I noticed or anything. Nor had I noticed how gorgeous he looked that morning. Nor had I noticed that his tie was hanging loosely around his neck. Didn't notice a thing about the lad, really. "Go on," James told his friends. "I'll catch up soon enough, I'm sure."