I need a light to take me home

As you might be able to tell from all the lyrics I've been using, I went through a bit of a Demi Lovato-phase. Whoops.

Chapter 23

I need a voice to echo,I needa light to take me home,I kinda need a hero.

~Nightingale - Demi Lovato

I wasn't supposed to think about how absolutely gorgeous Sirius had styled his hair that morning. If he had even styled it at all. He was rocking the bed hair look and he was making me have naughty thoughts I had no business having. Imagine having that lad spread out-

Alright. Rewind. You're supposed to dislike this guy, Nika, I told myself sternly. Having fantasies isn't going to help you accomplish that.

But I kind of liked the fantasies and then again, wasn't I supposed to return back to the way I was before? I used to have all sorts of fantasies about the lad before I actually got to know him. And even then... Maybe I should just let myself have this little thing, since I couldn't have the real him?

Hm. Something to think about.

I doodled on my parchment as McGonagall droned on and on about some spell or other. Lily nudged my side and gave me a stern look.

Right, needed to pay attention to the actual lesson. I looked up from my parchment and my eyes immediately fell on Sirius. Lily and I had arrived late for class for the first time in three or four months. It honestly was a rarity and it had gotten us only a slight frown from McGonagall as we took our seats in the back.

For some reason McGonagall had a strict no sitting in the back rule, which had probably something to do with the Marauders. They were usually up to no good in the back row of the classroom so it wasn't like I could blame McGonagall for prioritizing the first rows, where she could keep a proper eye on the troublemakers.

However, Lily wasn't happy about having to sit in the back, which I completely ignored. She always found it hard to understand what the professor said, since she had to ignore all the whispers to hear the professor's voice or something. Bullocks, if you asked me, but Lily took her studies quite seriously.

Anyway that was the reason why my eyes were glued to the back of Sirius' head, something that had been an impossible feat in all the other classes we've had so far this week. It was Wednesday afternoon and I was quite ready for the weekend to happen.

I nibbled worriedly on the side of my thumb as I kept the lad in my sights. This was ridiculous. Why couldn't I just keep my resolve and put my foot down? Why couldn't I just shut my feelings off and be an ice queen extraordinaire?

Would there be any Slytherins willing to give me lessons? I shook my head. No, now that'd be really foolish. They'd hex me into the next century if I even came too close because of my gold and red uniform.

Not that I could really blame them. We would probably do the same if we saw one of them approach.

Correction, I thought quickly, the Marauders would probably do the same. The rest of us would turn the other cheek and gossip something nasty as they passed.

"Have you spoken to Trey again?" I whispered, to get my mind off the oldest Black.

Lily slowly turned her head toward me and frowned. "No. Why?"

Because I hoped your love life would be a great distraction. "Just because."

Lily gave me another weird look, before getting back to taking notes.