Chapter 32

The rest of the world faded away, leaving only my brother and me. "You're alive," I whispered again, still not believing it. "I thought... how?" The records and Aden's testimony had led me to believe that Orion had been viciously murdered. And yet, somehow, I knew without a doubt that it was truly my brother standing in front of me, smiling sardonically and not looking a day over fourteen.

His intelligent eyes sharpened, drinking me in. "Leave us," he said, nodding at the guard. He released his grasp on my hair, and I fell forward. I heard him walk away, and a door closed. As far as I could tell, my twin and I were alone.

Orion paced in front of me. "I was saved by a guardian angel," he explained calmly. His voice sounded like broken glass, so distorted I almost couldn't make out what he was saying. Judging from the twisted scars around his jaw and neck, the Rogue had almost ripped his throat out. "By a shot of luck – or perhaps by some cruel twist of fate – the Rogue left me alone to die, once it had gorged itself on my blood. As you can see –" he gestured up and down his sleek black business suit – "I am lucky to be alive, a walking, talking miracle."

"So someone found and changed you? Who?"

"I did."

The floor dropped out from under me for the second time tonight as Angel, all made up for the party, walked into the room. Like a dog that's afraid of being struck by its owner, she meekly walked up to my brother. Tears shone in her eyes as I gawked at her. "I'm so sorry, Sloane," she said. "But he made me promise not to tell you."

Orion stroked her hair, looking upon her with all the affection of a favorite pet. "My faithful companion. My guardian... Angel." He whispered her name, and she blushed under his gaze right before she covered her mouth as another cough shook her body.

My mind was completely blown. Angel had changed my brother into a vampire. She had known the entire time he was alive, and yet, she hadn't told me. I would have been angry at her if I wasn't so shocked at seeing my brother alive to begin with.

"But you can't be... all the records said you were dead," I stuttered, looking at my brother.

His lips twitched into a smirk. "Records can be tampered with. As can the truth. You'd be surprised what you can accomplish with a little added power and persuasion."

He practically purred on the last word, and what color I had left drained from my face. "You sent the poisoned drink. You're the one who glamoured Dezyre."

He shrugged. "Once I learned for certain you were down here, I knew it was only a matter of time before you found out about me and... my little experiments. Those needed to remain a secret, as did my identity. I trusted Angel, but you? No, you would give everything away. I needed you gone. But killing you, unfortunately, hasn't proven to be as easy as I thought."

Hurt ran through me. "But I'm your sister," I whispered. "I went into the Red Sector to look for you."

"Three years too late!" he shouted, making Angel jump. "You abandoned me!"

"I wanted to look for you, but I couldn't!" My voice broke with a sob. "Dad got really sick right after the Eclipse, and I had to look after him."

Orion's eyes flashed. "Yes, I heard the old bastard finally croaked."

I stared at him, unable to believe this creature in front of me was my twin. "What have they done to you, Orion?"

He laughed. "Nothing, really. On the contrary, this place has given me everything. To them, I am their god."

"You're a killer," I spat.

He pursed his lips. "Vicious words coming from someone who has now killed at least ten people – no, excuse me – vampires." Venom dripped from that last word, and I thought I saw his eyes flash red. "We really are twins, you and I, to our violent, bloody cores."