Chapter 9

Everything moved in slow motion. As I spun, my eyes widened, taking in what appeared to be a younger version of Martha Stewart. The woman had immaculately styled platinum blond hair, which was held back by a broad white head band, and a warm face with petite features.

Features I was seriously about to damage.

She was too close, and I couldn't stop. My jaw slowly dropped in horror as her smile vanished, replaced by alarm as she registered what I was about to do.

Oh God.

I tried pulling back, but it was too late.

Less than three inches until impact, Aden shoved the woman out of the way, and my fist firmly connected with his jaw. He stumbled from the blow and swore.

I cupped my hands over my mouth in horror, apologies streaming from my lips in a frantic blur.

Aden gave me an icy glare before the woman broke the awkward silence. "Hi, Sloane," she said, smiling sweetly, as if I hadn't just tried to deck her. Her voice was light and airy, as dainty as her appearance. "I'm Rose Knight, Aden's mother."

I blinked in surprise. Aden lived with his mom? A quick scan of her signature told me she was also a vampire. Staring at her, I saw where Aden had inherited his pale features.

"It's so nice to finally meet you," she said. "You've been all Aden could talk about."

"Mom," Aden groaned, sounding much more like a teenager.

I flushed, surprised, but kept my face impassive as she extended her hand and I tentatively shook it.

She smiled sheepishly. "I apologize for frightening you. You must have had a long day. No one can blame you for being a little, well, 'edgy.'"

I wanted to laugh. "Edgy" doesn't even begin to describe how I'm feeling right now.

I just nodded, not quite meeting her eyes, and she hastily ushered Aden forward. "Well, I'm sure you're tired. Aden, dear, won't you show Sloane to her room?" She took my hands and squeezed them. "Please treat our home as your own."

"Thanks," I mumbled, taken aback by her kindness.

Mrs. Knight looked at her son and shook her head. "I'll fetch you an ice pack and some aspirin." She smiled at me one last time before walking off.

"Well," Aden said. "That went well." The words sounded funny because he was trying to talk without moving his mouth much. He looked at me pointedly, and I crossed my arms, refusing to look at him as my face burned. He made what sounded like a low growl in his throat and then started up the stairs, motioning for me to follow.

The townhouse was much bigger than it looked from the outside – the interior stretched far into the earth, making it seem impossibly long compared to the tiny apartment you saw from the street. The stairwell curled into the expansive second floor, depositing us into a carpeted hallway lined with a few doors. Elaborate crystal sconces dotted the walls, lighting the way. As on the ground level, there weren't any hanging photographs, only paintings and other artwork. We passed a few doors before Aden threw one open, spilling warm, orange light into the hall.

"Your room's right across from the bathroom," he said, stepping aside. "Unfortunately, there's only one on this floor, so you'll be sharing it with me."

I walked past him into the room, and my jaw dropped.

It was huge. I wagered I could have fit my entire bedroom from back home and then some in it. The floor was covered in the same thick, white carpet as the other rooms, and the walls were painted a beautiful deep plum. The ceiling was comprised of fancy lacework tiles, and three amber-colored lamps of varying lengths dripped from the center, suspended on cables that resembled black ivy.