Chapter 21

Thankfully, I didn't have to stay with Paris for long. Aden came for me before noon. I had apparently fallen into a coma, as I didn't even hear Paris leave for the hospital.

"Did you manage to find out anything about the shooters?" I asked Aden – perhaps a little too sharply – as we walked. Behaving normally around him was proving harder than I had originally thought. Every time I looked at him and caught him looking back at me – which he did frequently, like I might vanish any minute – I became all flustered and couldn't think straight.

He's lied to you, I reminded myself. He can't be trusted.

Not meaning to, I glanced at him and blushed, quickly looking away. Now I know why I never dated. I hate feeling this way, this unease. It sucks.

Aden frowned, his blue eyes turning stormy. "No. But Frost doesn't seem to be too concerned about it."

Ha. Of course she's not. She probably couldn't care less if I died.

"We looked into it but couldn't find any leads," he continued. "Frost thinks they were probably more extremists disguised as Imperial Guards, and I'm inclined to agree. Either way, it was decided you should return to the academy to continue training. You'll be safer there than at my place, anyway, and Frost wants you to be ready if she needs you."

I narrowed my eyes. "Another person who wants to use me as a pawn," I muttered.

Aden glanced at me. "You sure you're all right? You seem a little... off today."

"Well, let's see. My brother was brutally murdered by a Rogue, and I was turned into the very thing that killed him. On top of that, I've been tortured, electrocuted, and shot at. No, I can't possibly imagine why I might be a little off."

Aden stopped, grabbing my hand. My skin tingled as he wound his fingers through mine. Part of me wanted to hold on to him as tightly as I could, while the other half wanted nothing more than to smack him. "You don't have to go in today," he said gently. "I can tell them you're not feeling well if you'd rather stay home."

My heart fluttered against my will as I stared back at him. The concern in his too blue eyes seemed so genuine.

Stay strong.

"No," I finally said, clearing my throat and looking at my feet. "I want to go. Training will be a much needed distraction."

He studied my face. "Anything else wrong?"

I shook my head, weary on all levels – emotionally, mentally, and physically. "I'm fine." Geez, I even sounded tired. "I didn't get much rest last night."

Aden grinned. "I thought I saw a storm cloud hovering over your head this morning."

"Looking at everything that's happened to me recently, I'd say it's more like a hurricane."

He laughed, and then his face grew serious. "I swear to you, no harm will come to you on my watch." His voice had lowered, becoming breathier, as he tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and caused my heart to skip a beat.

I mentally stuck out my tongue at my heart. Traitor.

I nodded, having no reply to that. What could I say? Thanks, but no thanks, you lying douche. I know what you've done and who you're working for.

Or so I thought. I didn't actually know if Aden was working for Nero. Maybe he didn't know about the experiments; Paris had said less than five people knew. Perhaps Aden really was innocent. But if he was completely naïve, then why did he smell like spices on and off?