I chuckled to myself. "Okay." If he wanted my best, then I'd give it to him.

Kurt's face was covered in a giant grin, warning me that something was in play. He wound back and threw. I recognized the sinker and automatically adjusted myself to hit it, using a little magical force to align things. Connecting perfectly, the ball sailed past the far fence. Everyone turned to stare at me, dumbfounded.

The grin slid from Kurt's face and a determined look replaced it. I waited for the next pitch, ready to tackle whatever he had to offer.

Portia's delight flooded through me, fueling my determination even more, as the balls went sailing past the fence, again and again, until the last one, which I added a large magical burst to, causing the bat to break in half.

"Sorry, bro. I guess I broke your bat," I said, holding the piece in my hand out to Brad. He stared at me wide-eyed, as if he were unable to believe what he'd seen. "I said I hadn't had time to play. I didn't say I couldn't."

Walking past him, I went to the fence to retrieve my jacket.

"How about going out for the team, son?" the coach called.

"Not a chance," I replied, walking off the field. There was no way I wanted to associate with any of these losers.

---

Despite my late arrival at school, it felt like lunchtime would never arrive. When the bell finally rang to release us, I hurried directly to Portia's locker, not wanting to risk missing her. I knew she often went to lunch with her friend Shelly, but today I wanted to see if she would come with me instead. Spending time with her had quickly become my favorite thing to do.

She didn't see me waiting as she paused with Shelly at her locker. Turning her head, she finally noticed me standing there. Giving a nod, I cast my glance in the direction of the door. She smiled, catching my meaning immediately.

Whispering something to Shelly, the two of them looked my way and Shelly all but shoved Portia in my direction. Portia smiled and continued over to meet me. I popped her locker open and took her books, putting them away and closing it again.

"How'd you do that?" she asked, her eyes wide.

Leaning in close next to her ear, I whispered, "Magic, remember?"

"Oh, yeah." She smiled as I reached down, linking our fingers together, and welcoming the spark that ran up my arm again at the contact.

Gently, I led her down the hallway toward the double doors as people stopped to stare at the two of us, some open mouthed, others pointing and whispering. It was crazy to see the reactions of our classmates, but I didn't mind one bit.

"Silly, isn't it?" Portia said as we stepped outside into the sunlight.

"Not at all. Now the whole school knows you're my girl." Claiming her with the words infused me with a deep, satisfying pleasure. I liked how it sounded.

She came to a dead stop, looking so cute as she squinted at me. "Is that what I am?" Her hand trembled in mine.

Moving so we were standing face to face, I stared down into her beautiful onyx eyes, feeling like I could drown in the depths of them. "That's what you are." Sliding my hands to the sides of her face, I bent and kissed her mouth. A pulse instantly shot through me at the contact and I had to have more. I moved my hands behind her, dragging her body the rest of the way to mine, closing the small space between us. Her hands traveled upward, latching around my neck and she opened her mouth willingly, allowing my tongue to sink inside her. She tasted so good, her breath sweet as if she'd recently eaten some delicious fruit.