Chapter Twenty Six

The horses plodded along behind the trio as they treaded through the muggy forest, eyes searching both for the cave of Naguhana and for the silver armour that chased them.

Nicko looked back down at her map, trying to find some kind of landmark to find Naguhana through the forest they were lost in. The fact that the guards wouldn't have as detailed a map as she did gave her some comfort, but it was small. The forest looked almost the same throughout their course so far. She didn't have a very good view of the sun so it was hard to tell which way they were heading. Nicko just hoped that the bearing she had taken before entering the forest were the correct ones otherwise they were hopelessly lost.

She was considering calling out to them using Draeth but that would also alert the guards as to where they were. Also the Shadow Dragons were not in the high opinion of the Wind Dragons, the two species at each other's' throats for centuries before Eldontria was split.

"What's that?" Jack called out from the back of the line. Nicko turned around, but without a lot of hope in her heart or attached to her. For she knew if she was hopeful and disappointed it would only demoralise her.

But surely enough there was a large pile of stones, the traditional marking of a dragon's territory. The dragons only did this around major gathering places as not to arouse suspicion.

"That's it guys! Quick, before the guards catch up with us." Nicko called to the two of them. Faya and Jack nodded and immediately walked as fast as the horses allowed in the terrain. Nicko took the front position of the line again and led the black stallion through the leaves and vines that covered the ground. He stumbled a few times but each time managed to find a footing. The mares nickered nervously to each other, but the black stallion, very much like Nicko did at times, neighed softly at the two and they immediately quietened.

Do I really act like that? Nicko thought as she led the company past the pile of stones and towards the edge of the forest. The cave pool and mouth were visible and Nicko hurried the trio along before the guards could reach the clearing. The cave looked shallow and deserted with tasteful decorations of dead animal skeletons lying around the place. Faya crinkled her nose at the animal skeletons and Nicko rolled her eyes.

Quickly she ushered the two into the cave and gestured for quiet. It was Jack's turn to raise an eyebrow at Nicko but never the less he obeyed her actions.

Surely enough, merely seconds after they had gotten into the cave and the horses had stopped moving around and causing noise; did the company of guards appear in the clearing. One of them, the one Nicko presumed was the leader took off his helmet, his sweaty face exposed to the muggy warmth of the Spring Realm. His ratty attempt at a moustache hang in a brown limp mess above his top lip and his auburn eyes scanned the clearing and the cave mouth for any sign of the trio.

No one moved for a few, heavy moments. The guard without helmet on scanned through the clearing and the forest around them, searching with squinted eyes for any movement.

Eventually he nodded to his fellow guards and replaced his helmet onto his head. The guards kicked at their horses, in a rather cruel manner in Nicko's opinion and the horses, bearing their heavy riders trotted off back into the thick of the forest.

Back in the cave mouth the trio was rejoicing in their escape. Nicko just smiled, while Faya and Jack went to embrace each other, paused and equally just as awkward just bumped fists.

"Come on, this way you two." Nicko said and led them further into the cave. The air of the company was euphoric as they made their way to the back of the cave, where Nicko pointed out the rather large tunnel that was hidden in the shadows.