Days of Old

Three Days Later

"Weiss, you haven't grown an inch still. Stop checking." Blake said, seeing Weiss try to cheat by standing on her toes.

"Says you! I've already been able to reach to shelves that I haven't before!" Weiss boasted, before turning back to her measuring tape.

"Whatever you say. Hey Yang, what do you think your wish was?" Blake asked, seeing Yang immediately blush and turn away.

"Nothing! Erm, probably just that Ember Celica would never run out of ammo. I life a near-perfect life, after all." Yang said, avoiding her obvious wish. "What about you?"

"Nothing, probably just that Faunus would live a better life in general." Blake said, her face turning the same color as Yang's.

"Well I for one have no idea what my wish would be." Ruby said, glancing out the window overlooking the Beacon lawn.

"Maybe your life was so perfect you didn't need one? I mean, you wouldn't want love, you wouldn't want fame or fortune, all you would really want was cookies." Yang suggested, before seeing Ruby stumble off of her bunk.

"Ruby, are you hurt?" Blake said, seeing Ruby land face-first on the rug.

"I'm fine, but I think I just saw my wish." Ruby said, bolting out of the dorm room, Yang and Blake in tow as Weiss struggled to put her shoes on.

"What do you think it was?" Yang asked, barely able to keep up with Ruby as she darted across the lawn.

"I could have sworn I saw someone I knew... They looked really familiar..." Ruby said, slowing to a halt before looking around at everyone's faces.

"Hey guys, fancy meeting you here!" Jaune said, earning a hand to the face from Ruby.

"Not now Jaune, I think my wish was fulfilled." Ruby said, walking over to inspect everyone's face.

"And how would that be?" Pyrrha asked, receiving a pamphlet from Blake.

"It's an odd machine down at the boardwalk, it claims to grant your biggest wish. We haven't noticed Weiss grow any taller, so we can't be sure it worked." Blake said, leaving to follow Ruby in her path of destruction.

"Any wish, huh? Maybe now you can finally take back that Pumpkin Pete thing!" Jaune joked, causing them both to laugh.

"Ruby, are you done yet?" Weiss complained, as having to follow Ruby around for 30 minutes for a pipe dream was not her idea of a good time.

"Yeah, I could have sworn I saw someone..." Ruby said, frowning.

"Don't worry, maybe you'll see them again someday." Yang said, rubbing Ruby's hair. Everyone knew what she had meant, but none of them had wanted to say it.

"I thought I saw mom, Yang. She looked just like the picture that Uncle Qrow showed us." Ruby said, starting off back towards the dorms, making the rest of the trip in silence.