Chapter 8

"ROSE!" I shout to her in hope she could hear me.

She is on the ground on her back.

This was dangerous to climb down to the ground of the cliff.

We could have climbed back up using the rope around our waist. Why didn't I think of that before?

I start to climb down faster now. I am more than halfway to the bottom.

My hands slip a few times but I catch myself.

I see purple sparks enter her body. I now go even faster.

I jump and land on the ground next to Rose on the rocky beach.

I pull rose away from the ocean and set her head down on a mossy rock.

I start to tear up. I sit in front of her and put my head on her chest to listen for a heartbeat. I hear the faint beating of a heart over the waves of the ocean. But she isn't breathing.

I start to cry. I lift her so she is sitting up and I can hold her in my arms. Her body is limp. I hope she is just unconscious.

I see white sparks flying in the air.

They take the form of a fairy in a white dress. It isn't Eloise because her dress is yellow, not white.

"Hello David. I'm Slaine, fairy of health. I saw you trying to escape Melanie. I also saw Rose fall off the cliff; and I saw those purple sparks. It was Melanie who did it." She says.

"Did Melanie make the rocks under Rose's feat give way? If you're a heath fairy then help Rose!" I say.

"Melanie did make rose fall. The purple sparks that entered her body was a spell to make her weak; so Melanie could have the power to steal the power put in her to create her book." Slaine says.

"Aren't you going to help rose though?" I ask impatiently.

"David, I'm sorry. But I can't fix this one. I'm sure even Eloise couldn't do it either." Slaine says.

"Then why did you even come?" I say.

"David, calm down and listen." Slaine says.

I calm down. I am still holding on to Rose. I listen to what Slaine has to say.

"Think. Rose is part of a story now; an enchanted story. You know that Belle kissed a beast and he became a prince. Rapunzel cried on her prince's eyes and he could see again. The princess in the princess and the frog really did find her prince after the frog prince got her ball." Slaine says.

"So is Rose asleep? Or is it something else?" I ask.

"I don't know actually. You have to find that out for yourself." Slaine says this as her body is turning into sparks.

The sparks float into the air and disappear.

I look down at rose.

Her face is completely white. Her body is limp. I don't know what to do.

**********

I get back home to the village. I get off my dragon and go back to the house.

How did I even end up in that castle?

I jump up and walk in.

"Hello Sam. Did you bring your friends back and they left? Or are they about to leave now?" mother asks.

"Who are you talking about?" I ask. I have no idea what she was talking about.

"You brought Rose, Tallulah, and David to the Sea Glass Mountains so there trip would be faster. Aren't they here with you?" father says.

"I have no idea who you are talking about." I say.

"How could you have forgotten them? They were with you!" mother says concerned.

"Don't you remember last night? We had dinner with your friends." Father says.

The memory of last night slowly comes back into my mind. My head starts to hurt. I put my hands on my head in pain.

As I am in pain it feels like something is coming out of me. I open my eyes to see purple sparks everywhere.

The sparks start to disappear and I feel a head rush.

The pain slowly starts to go away.

Mother is in front of me with a wet towel. I put it over my forehead.

"Are you okay?" mother asks.

"Where are they? Did Melanie catch them?" I say.

"Are you talking about your friends?" mother asks.

"Yes! Where are they?" I say.

"You left them at the castle. You just said you didn't know who they were." Father says.

"I need to go back to get them!" I say.

I take the towel off my forehead and I leave to get my dragon.

I get out of the house and jump down.

I run to my dragon and jump on.

"We have to go back!" I say to him.

We lift up into the air and we fly faster than ever back to the castle. We dodge tree after tree and mountain after mountain. We stay low so I can breathe.

We keep on flying and I see the blue stretch of ocean coming up ahead.

The blue stretch gets bigger and bigger. The trees start to disappear and I am flying past rocks.

We make it to the castle and I jump off and go to the door.

I forgot I can't open it. I can't get in the castle at all. Tallulah isn't here to let me in.

"HELP!"

"HELP!" I hear a voice shouting.

I look around.

"HELP!" I hear again.

It is coming from off the cliff. I walk to the edge and look down

I see the waves crashing at the cliff below me.

I walk around the castle to see the whole cliff.

There is a tree with two ropes tied to it. I look down the cliff over here.

There are two people at the bottom.

**********

"HELP!" I shout again.

I look up to see a face looking down at us.

I hold Rose in my arms.

"ARE YOU TWO OKAY?" shouts the person on the top of the cliff.

The person looks like Sam. That is probably true because I thought I hear something flying.

"IS THAT YOU SAM?" I shout back at him.

"DAVID? ROSE?" Sam shouts back at me.

"CAN YOU COME DOWN HERE?" I say.

Sam nods his head. He grabs some rocks on the side of the cliff and climbs down a little.

After he is almost halfway, he jumps and lands near us.

"What happened to Rose?" Sam asks.

"We tried to escape Melanie and Rose fell as we climbed down. I don't know what happened to her after that. She now has a spell cast on her from Melanie." I say.

"Let's take her back to my village. Maybe the elder can help." Sam says.

I look down at Rose as if I was waiting her approval.

"Okay, let's go." I say.

I grab rose in my arms and we walk up the beach until the cliff is short enough for Sam to jump up. Sam jumps and comes back down on Roderick.