/coming home/

Lauren opened her eyes slowly, rubbing them and sitting up to stretch.
It was 2.43PM, her sleep schedule had been a little messed up lately to say the least.

Today was the day.
Today was the day Lauren would finally leave this place. It had been a week since Alejandro had asked her to come home with him.
Since then, her excitement had withered a little and been replaced with nerves. She was sure she wouldn't be good enough to fit into his family.

If they were anything like him, Alejandro's family were going to be amazing. So it's not that she was scared of what they would be like, but more how she would react.

She had been in a coma for two years. That's two freaking years of no human contact.
Lauren wanted to badly to impress Alejandro and make him proud of her, but how could she do that when she could barely even speak? What if she said something wrong or couldn't say anything at all? What if she embarrassed Alejandro and he decided he didn't want to look after her anymore.

Decided not to overthink the subject any more, Lauren threw her legs over the side of the bed and padded over to the corner of the room where the clothes Alejandro's daughter were neatly folded on a chair.

She smiled at the thought of the girl but knitted her eyebrows together when she realized she didn't even know her name. She was sure it would be just as pretty as she was.

Lauren blushed, once again she had caught herself thinking about this girl she had literally only seen for no more than fifteen seconds, so why couldn't she get her out of her head?

Lauren lifted the hoodie up to her face, nuzzling her nose into it and taking in the slightly faded girls scent. She wanted nothing more than to run home with Alejandro and bury her head in the girls shoulder and just hold her. Damn, she was in way too deep already.

//

Lauren exited the bathroom dressed in the oversized hoodie and sweatpants that were just ever so slightly too short for her.
But it was okay, anything was better than the cold and scratchy hospital gown she'd been made to wear for the past week.

She decided to sit down for a while, absentmindedly scrolling through her tumblr dashboard on the phone Alejandro had given her a couple of days ago. She didn't remember how to read properly, so she didn't really understand a lot of it, but Alejandro had helped her set up the account and she found the art and other images on there the most interesting and beautiful thing in the world.
It was her escape from the drama of the real world.

The last hour or so of her stay in the hospital seemed to drag by excruciatingly slowly, she would glance over at the clock every so often, expecting it to be time to go home when in reality it had only been five minutes.

Lauren wasn't excited anymore. Lauren was scared.
She felt the familiar pit of butterflies forming in her stomach, only this time they weren't light and dreamy; they were heavy and made her want to curl up into a ball and never wake up.

But it was too late to turn back now. She couldn't back out even if she wanted to. It was either the group home that was waiting for her, or Alejandro's family. She knew for sure which one she'd rather pick.

Alejandro finally entered the room at 4.47PM, mumbling something about how he got caught up with another patient. Lauren couldn't help but notice how tense he seemed.

She placed a hand on his shoulder and he turned to face her. Over the past week, Lauren and Alejandro had spent a lot of time together, and the man had developed an impressive talent of being able to read Lauren's body language and tell what she was thinking before she even had to say it.