Chapter 21

***Please take a moment to listen to the song on the side. I think it really fits in with Clayton& Ellie, especially at the end.***

“How do you feel?” I asked. Sofia sat on the ground, clutching her head. Her knees were pulled up against her chest. Her face was far too pale.

                She groaned softly.

                I stood up, chuckling, “Rough trip?”

                She groaned again.

                I put my hands on my hips, taking in a deep breath. Everything looked exactly the way I had left it. The air was stagnant, warm against my skin. The basement was bare, just like we had left it. My ears perked up for any noise above.

                It was still Blasé’s house.

                I wasn’t sure what time it was. The basement was dark with only a little light leaking in from the windows. It had to be somewhere around sun rise or sunset. I wasn’t sure which though.

                “Sofia, are you ok?” I asked, crouching down on the ground next to her.

                She was silent for a moment before taking in a deep breath and looking up at me. She smiled weakly, “Yeah, I think so.”

                “I’ve never known someone to get sick on the Speed. Then again, I’ve never known someone come back from the Speed.”

                She nodded, breathing in through her mouth, “I’ve never ridden the Speed before. It scared me.”

                I smirked, holding out a hand. She curled her fingers around mine, pulling herself up. I pulled back, meeting her halfway. Sofia stood on shaky legs, taking deep breathes.

                “It’s alright, Sofe.” I smiled encouragingly.

                She took in a deep breath, releasing it slowly, “I think I’m good now. Thanks, Clay.” She smiled kindly at me.

                I returned the smile.

                Sofia stepped forward, looking around the basement, “Is this where you lived? It’s not much different from mine…”

                “This is only the basement. This isn’t my entire house.” I chuckled.

                She bit her lip, looking away, “I knew that…”

                “Sure.”

                “Can…Is…Do you think it’s safe to go above to see the rest of your house?” She asked softly, “I’ve always been curious to see what the Boys’ Side is like.”

                I scratched the back of my head nervously, “Well…it’s not really different from yours. But yeah, I think we’re ok. Blasé isn’t really a mean person.”

                Sofia faltered, staring at me cautiously, “Repeat that?”

                “I think we’re ok?” I frowned.

                “After that.”

                “Blasé isn’t really a mean person?”

                Sofia bit her lip, eyes wide, “You forgot to mention a Blasé.”

                I waved it off, breathing a sigh of relief. I thought something serious was bugging her. “Blasé is the man who took me and E-Ellie in when she was still…alive.”