Chapter 1:What Changed Us All

:Prologue:

Remember When We Were Small?

I used to play in the stream behind river park. Where I would catch fish with my best friend with our own bare hands, I would usually catch Trot fish or just pods in nets. We would than release the fish, we never brought any home. She would always walk me home while holding my hand just in case I wouldn't get lost. We were around age four to six. Then there was a time when I had to leave her. I moved to 'New Mexico' for three years, but moved back to 'Green Vally'.

I went to go see her again in river park near the stream. But then I would see her with other people. I felt bad, angry, disappointed, helpless and names that made me feel like nothing. I went to sit on the park bench and started to tear up. I was usually loud, but I was quiet. I pulled my knees to my chest and hug them tightly. I looked over at my best friend that looked more like a stranger to me. I saw her laughing and smiling, but not with me. It felt more like at me, like if she was to make fun of me. I stopped and looked down. I felt sick and hazy, I wanted to call her out, but I changed so much, I was scared she couldn't remember me. I wanted to move back, but I didn't want to leave.

~~

The next day I went to the same school as she did. The uniform for girls was a above or below the knees navy blue skirt followed with a white collar button shirt with a short sleeved gray sweater and a navy tie. The boys ware the same but with navy pants, below or above the knees shorts. When recess came I was sitting alone on the cement outline of a tree eating. I saw a group of girls come and sit by me. One of them was her, but she didn't say anything she just smiled. The girl with blond hair, said her name was Saffe, she asked if they could sit with me. I said 'yes' and we all then hang out together. The brunet, Xenna wouldn't talk much to me, but with the other girls, she did. I would just sit there quietly. Saffe would try to make me talk by asking questions, but it would never last.

~~

The next month I went to visit river park again with my dad chaperoning me. I saw the same group of friends that I hang out with at school. My dad pointed them out and suggested me to play with them. He than said "Baby, you should go say 'hi' to your best friend. If your scared I will come with you." His voice to me was soothing. He never hurt me, except put me out on time out when I did something I wasn't suppose to do.

I nodded and walked over to them with my dad. They were by the river, just talking doing nothing. My dad sat down and kept distance, I walked up and tried to say 'hello' but I couldn't. I look back at my dad, and he puts a soft smile and gestured me to continue. I walked behind Saffe and tapped her shoulder. I griped the end of my sweater*. She looked up at me and smiled widely showing her white straight teeth. She gave me a big hug, but it didn't last long. When we parted her smile was gone. She started to cry.

I turn to my dad and his smile was gone. He walks to her and puts his hands gently on her shoulder. She said "My dad wore the same uniform, he never came back . . . ".

I look at my dad and he responded with "I'll promise you, your father will never leave your heart, but he will leave your eyes."

The girl cried more, and hugged my dad tightly. I didn't know what he meant, but he walked us home. When we were at home he said "I'll come back for you, I have to finish something. I'll come home when I'm done," smiled and left. He hasn't came home since.

~~

Saffe didn't come to school the next day. It was only Xenna who talked to me. She was the only one who that spoke to me that day.

~~

After that, everything changed ever so slightly. I wonder what changed us all?

~~

AN:Finished!! It took me a while to write it, I hope it turns out okay~
(o^^o) thank you for reading, although this is the first book I ever wrote. Hope you enjoy it(^^)~~~