My Name is Kai (4)

~~~~

KAI’S POV

~~~~

            I found myself humming elatedly as I placed the sheets and blankets back where I stole them from. It was a framed picture that seemed to painfully lurch me back into a reality that I didn’t want to live in anymore.

            In the dense wooden frame that was as old as Gram was a washed-out photo of numerous wolves. My heart rate picked up to a prompt pace whilst my hands grew clammy from the sickening realization that settled over me. I was residing with wolves; I was even playing with them as if we had been old friends that hadn’t seen each other for months, perhaps even years.

            What would Al contemplate? What would Helsing do? Would Gram be disappointed?

            Why wasn’t I in a hysterical state of panic? I was so positive if I had ever witnessed a wolf again that a certain vindictive spirit would had taken place of the usual Kai and tried to rid of the monsters that ravenously impaled the lives of so many.

            They had killed my sisters before my very eyes; they had deceived every single one of us with their wolf like smiles and innocuous gestures. They had been there for the births of my sisters and they gladly took the lives of them. Uncle Mike…was a cold blooded murderer. The same man that taught me to fight when everyone else insisted that a human girl without the motivation to kill couldn’t do a thing. He was the one to teach me the different pressure points and how much it took to steal a life with a simple jab to the neck. Never had I done it, but he made sure I knew if I ever needed to defend myself.

            However, when the moment came, I didn’t protect myself or my family.

            So, I wonder –just as I have so many other times—why did I live? I had pinned under the paws of a bloodied wolf when my vision ran black and I had been blessed just enough to awake in a hospital room, alive and mostly intact physically.

            Just a human survived.

            A useless pathetic excuse of a human. You let them die, you murderer. You knew how to kill those wolves, you could have saved your sister. You knew how to respond. You coward.

            Shut up!

            My fingers clasped the edges of the frame in a precarious hold and tears threatened to fall from my eyes. I was so feeble.

            Deftly, I placed the frame back where it had been sitting and collecting fine layers of dust. My hands shook as I tucked in the blankets and tried to recall how the bed had looked before MaKenna and I whisked the covers away to become a part of our mess downstairs.

            “Do you need some help?” questioned the low tone of Josh and I responded by holding my breath to contain the dizziness.

            “I got it,” I lied and starred at the picture again. This time, anger gathered. How dare they? How dare they suppose they had the right? They killed their own family! How could they do that! What is wrong with them?! I just want to-

            “I can see that,” Josh interrupted my thoughts and proceeded to assist me in the task I was so seemingly failing to complete.

            “Downstairs is finished?” I questioned.

            “Of course,” was his response.

            “I can see that,” Josh interrupted my thoughts and proceeded to assist me in the task I was so seemingly failing to complete.