19: Spring is Done

Comincia dall'inizio

"The prince wasn't looking at the fantasy-esque city, and he wasn't watching the regal, smiling people. He only had eyes for the princess." I swear I heard the voice smile. "He looked at her with the sort of love that people cherish. The kind of love that is so fierce, so strong, that people guard it like protecting it is their sole duty in life."

My heart twisted as the voice's words rang through my ears and into my very soul. Pain, it seemed, haunted you even in unconsciousness.

The prince and princess still walked in front of me, their backs straight and steps proud. The princess was still looking ahead, but I could see the side of the prince's face as he looked lovingly at his princess.

"The princess felt the prince's eyes on her, and her cheek warmed as she was suddenly struck with the love pouring from his eyes."

I studied the prince's face further. He was handsome, certainly, with a strong jaw and neat hair, and alluring eyes. Eyes, I realized, that were grey.

My throat dried, and suddenly watching the couple in front of me became more of a nightmare than a fantasy.

The voice became sadder, its tone less joyful and more dark. "Then the prince turned away-"

As the voice spoke, the he turned his gaze from the princess, and I could no longer see his grey eyes. The princess bent her head. Her steps lost their life and her feet began to drag.

"The princess' face grew cold," the voice said mournfully. "and her eyes dried as she wondered, 'Does my prince still love me?'"

The fantasy was yanked away from me like a rug on the floor, and the colors rushed off the black canvas, and the people, the buildings, the princess and the prince, were washed away in the blink of an eye.

I awoke sweaty and agitated, my mind racing and heart pounded, as I wondered the meaning behind what I had just saw.

❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀

A week after term had begun, Remus and I went back to the Common Room for our free period. We took our time, chatting and catching up on each other's summers- I was intentionally vague about mine- and there were already a few people in the Tower when we stepped inside.

A group of seventh years were swapping notes by the fireplace, and, by the window, a boy and girl were snogging passionately.

I groaned. "Couldn't they get a room?" I headed towards a couch opposite the seventh years.

When I didn't hear footsteps following behind me, I glanced over my shoulder. "Remus?"

He was standing stiffly by the Portrait Hole. His limbs had gone completely still, and he was staring at me with a horrible expression on his face.

"Remus...? Does the snogging bother you that much?"

He shook his head fervently. His eyes were wide, and his voice barely concealed his panic. "No, not me...Bree," he paused and bit his lip, his face torn. "Do you- do you see who's snogging?"

I snorted. "Does it ma..." I trailed off as I squinted at the heated couple by the window.

The girl was pressed up against the wall, her long blond hair spilling over the guy's arms. Her hair had dark highlights and was styled in tight ringlets...Marlene.

The guy was a good few inches taller than her, tanned with carefully kept black hair- no.

No, no, no. Bile flooded my mouth, and I fought to keep from retching. My books clattered to the floor. The seventh years, looked up from their notes, startled, but I hardly registered them.